Police Officer Trainee
$76,169.60 – $79,913.60 Annually
This is a trainee level classification which provides transition into the position of Police Officer. A Police Officer Trainee is hired into this civilian position for the period prior to and during the time they are assigned to a Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certified police academy. The police academy has an expected duration of approximately 6 months. Upon successful completion of training at an academy and upon the availability of a Police Officer position, Police Officer Trainees are sworn in and appointed to the classification of Police Officer. The Police Officer Trainee is represented by SEIU Local 1021 and benefits are limited to those of a civilian employee.
- Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Attends a basic POST certified police academy designed to provide an overview of the criminal justice system including knowledge of laws, police procedures, law enforcement techniques, first aid and physical fitness.
- Receives training to develop an awareness of Police Department functions, as well as the responsibilities of Police Officers and how those responsibilities relate to field operations.
- Receives academy and field training to become a Police Officer.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Any combination equivalent to experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge and abilities would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Licenses: Possession and maintenance of a valid Class C California Driver’s License.
- Free of any felony convictions.
- A citizen of the United States or a permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship (Government Code Para. 1031).
- Age, not less than 21 years at time of appointment.
- Vision in each eye, correctable to at least 20/30.
- Must pass a background investigation.
- Must meet all Department medical, physical and psychological standards.
- Bi-lingual applicants are encouraged to apply.