Police Officer Trainee/Police Officer Certified/Lateral
Applications will be accepted for this position on a continual basis and will be reviewed regularly. Candidates are encouraged to monitor their email and text messages after applying, as all notifications regarding this position will be sent via email or text messaging.
Performs work enforcing laws, patrolling and investigating criminal activity, ensuring safety of public by responding to incidents and calls for services, collecting evidence and testifying in court, maintaining official files and records, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the supervision of the Police Sergeant.
POLICE OFFICER – TRAINEE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
High School diploma or GED preferably supplemented by coursework in criminal justice, military service experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
POLICE OFFICER – TRAINEE SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to pass an extensive background investigation.
- May require possession of, or ability to obtain, specific licenses and/or certifications depending on departmental assignment.
- National Incident Management Systems (NIMS) training based on assignment.
- Must meet and maintain all training and education requirements for the position.
- Valid Arizona Driver License of appropriate class.
Arizona POST Certified Officer Applicants
In order to apply as an AZPOST certified lateral Police Officer, candidates must have successfully completed an Arizona POST approved Police Officer Academy and currently possess an active AZPOST Peace Officer Certification. Applicants currently certified by AZPOST will not be required to attend the academy.
Out-of-State Lateral Officer Applicants
Out-of-State lateral Police Officers must have successfully completed a sworn Police Officer Academy and currently possess an active Peace Officer Certification. Out-of-State Lateral Officers may be able to gain AZPOST Certification through the waiver process, and if successfully completed, will not be required to attend the academy. For more information regarding the waiver process, visit the Arizona Peace Officer Standard and Training Board website at https://post.az.gov/. Out-of-State lateral Police Officers will be hired as a “Police Officer Trainee” and will remain a “Trainee” until AZPOST Peace Officer Certification is received.
STARTING SALARY (Based on years of service):
- Police Officer Trainee Salary Range ($25.97 – $31.92Hourly)
- Police Officer Rate following graduation from Police Academy: $28.85/Hourly
- 0-3 Years – $28.85/Hourly – $60,017.19/Annually
- 3 Years – $29.86/Hourly – $62,117.80/Annually
- 4 Years – $30.91Hourly – $64,291.92/Annually
- 5 Years – $31.99/Hourly – $66,542.14/Annually
- 6 Years – $33.11/Hourly – $68,871.11Annually
- 7+ Years – $34.27/Hourly – $71,281.60/Annually
*Employee is considered a trainee if hired as an out-of-state lateral officer and will remain a trainee until AZPOST Certification is received. Once AZPOST Certification is received, rate of pay will change to reflect years of service as outlined above.
POLICE OFFICER – TRAINEE HIRING INCENTIVES:
- Relocation Expense Reimbursement – Up to $1000 with receipts
POLICE OFFICER – CERTIFIED/LATERAL HIRING INCENTIVES:
- Signing Bonus – $5,000 (upon successful completion of the Field Training Program)
- Relocation Expense Reimbursement – Up to $1,000 with receipts
- Specialized Certification Award at the Chief’s discretion – up to $2,000 (upon successful completion of the Field Training Program)
To apply for the Police Officer Trainee:
To apply for the Police Officer Certified/Lateral: