Police Officer Trainee or Police Officer Sworn
Salary: $43,085.00 Annually.
The purpose of this job is to obtain basic training and understanding in municipal law enforcement principles and procedures and its relationship with the judicial system and corrections. A Police officer trainee is a non-sworn employee of a police department. Your responsibilities revolve around learning basic skills and procedures needed to be a police officer. In addition to training, you may observe professional police officers as they perform their duties. Under direct guidance and supervision, receives field training and assists in the enforcement of local, state, and federal laws.
- Learns major functions of inter-relationship and elements of law enforcement, judicial system, and correctional institution.
- Learns to recognize ethical and unethical police behavior and characteristics of the law enforcement profession.
- Enrolls in and completes courses in such areas as constitutional law, Georgia criminal law, criminal procedure, rules of evidence, juvenile law, liability, interpersonal communications, police stress management, patrol operations, criminal reporting, crisis intervention, criminal investigations, preliminary investigations, etc.
- Works toward completion of state certification by Police Academy.
- Trains and studies with police equipment and other training personnel to develop and maintain competency and proficiency.
- Assists in patrolling assigned areas of responsibility to prevent and reduce criminal activity.
- Assists in preparing reports on incidents and arrests.
- Assists in enforcing traffic laws; conducts vehicle stops; investigates traffic accidents; writes citations.
- Operates miscellaneous equipment including emergency vehicles, radar, and breath alcohol analyzers.
- Assists in the processing of evidence and the preparation of court cases; may provide legal testimony as required.
- Writes and files daily activity report with superior officer.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Valid driver’s license.
- High school diploma or GED is required.
- Applicant must be 21 years of age by the date of hire.
- Must be a citizen of the United States or a repatriated or naturalized citizen of the United States.