Police Officer Trainee (Academy Recruit)
Salary: $5,038.42 – $6,124.22 Monthly.
Under close supervision, incumbents in this non-sworn, entry-level position complete a formal, comprehensive California Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) Certified Basic Academy training program of about 26-weeks duration and perform other related work as required. Upon successful completion of the mandatory policy academy, trainees may be elevated to the rank of sworn Police Officer at the discretion of the Chief of Police.
- Attend scheduled training sessions;
- Participate in physical fitness regimen as required by Academy;
- Learn principles, practices and theory of criminal and civil law enforcement;
- Learn basic criminal investigation processes and techniques, including the identification, collection, and preservation of evidence, courtroom testimony, and witness interrogation;
- Learn to prepare various reports, including but not limited to vehicle reports, crime reports, suspect information reports, and missing persons reports;
- Learn to respond to radio and computer messages and calls for service;
- Learn techniques to make arrests as necessary;
- Learn to investigate crimes, traffic collisions, and suspicious activities;
- Learn to interview victims, complainants and witnesses;
- Learn to detain and interrogate suspects;
- Learn to analyze situations and make decisions appropriately under stressful situations;
- Learn to collect and preserve evidence;
- Learn to testify and present evidence in court;
- Learn to direct traffic, including regulation of vehicle flow at times of emergency or congestion;
- Learn to stop drivers who are operating vehicles in violation of laws and issue citations as necessary; and
- May be required to work shifts, weekends or holidays.
- High School Diploma, pass the General Education Development test indicating high school graduation level, pass the California High School Proficiency Examination, or have attained a two-year, four-year, or advanced degree from an accredited college or university.
- Candidates who have successfully completed a full-time California P.O.S.T Certified Basic Police Academy or currently attending an Academy (with a ranking within the top 25 percentile of their class) may be allowed to substitute their academy training in lieu of having to attend the City’s mandatory academy. The decision is at the sole discretion of the Chief of Police.
- Must possess a valid California Class “C” Driver’s License.
- Must be a minimum of 20 ½ years of age at the time of the written test.
- Must be of proportional height to weight, be physically able to handle the rigorous duties of police work.
- Possess normal hearing and color perception, minimum vision of 20/100 in each eye, correctable to 20/20.
- Prior to appointment, candidates must successfully complete a polygraph test, psychological and medical examination, and an extensive background investigation process.
- Smoking and/or the use of tobacco products on or off duty are prohibited as a condition of employment; and
- Any visible tattoo(s), body art and/or body piercings are prohibited while performing department duties.