POLICE OFFICER TRAINEE
Police Officer Trainee is an entry-level, non-sworn training position in the Police Department. Incumbents are assigned to the Basic Law Enforcement Training Academy and must satisfactorily pass all of the requirements that lead to the possession of the Basic Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Academy Certificate before becoming candidates for the sworn position of Police Officer. Assignment to the trainee classification is temporary.
Few area agencies are able to offer the necessary training for law enforcement success at no cost to you. The City of Stockton will send you to a POST Basic Law Enforcement Training Academy while earning a monthly salary. Health and retirement benefits are competitive and the experience gained with Stockton PD is unparalleled.
If you are interested in a career with the Stockton Police Department and meet the following requirements, please apply during the application period and you will be invited to the test session.
10/29/2021 5:00 PM Pacific
• Graduation from an accredited United States high school or possession of a GED certificate received from a recognized accrediting association. Completion of some college course work is preferred.
• Must possess or be able to obtain and maintain a valid California Class C driver's license and have a satisfactory driving record.
• Must be twenty (20) years of age at the time of application, and twenty-one (21) years of age by the time of appointment.
• Must successfully complete a background investigation, which shall include a polygraph and psychological examination, and a California Department of Justice fingerprint clearance.
• Must be found to be free from any physical, emotional, or mental condition, including bias against race or ethnicity, gender, nationality, religion, disability, or sexual orientation, that might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a peace officer.
• Must be able to pass a physical examination, which includes a drug screen, administered by the City Physician. Vision requirements are 20/100 uncorrected; 20/30 corrected. Color blindness will be cause for rejection. Hearing must be within normal range -- 5/5.
• Must be able to work days, evenings, nights, weekends and holidays; and drive.
• The City of Stockton requires employees in a public safety classification to reasonably respond to emergencies at all times. Employees will be required to maintain primary residence within 45 minutes of City Hall in order to timely respond to emergencies and meet the health, safety and welfare needs of the City. New employees have up to three (3) months from the date of hire to comply with the requirement. Any interested candidates must be willing to adhere to this requirement throughout the duration of employment.