Police Officer Trainee
Under the direct supervision of a police officer, or any other qualified member of the Cocoa Police Department, performs a variety of law enforcement and administrative duties in preparation for transfer to a Police Officer position. This class is characterized by continued development of academic and professional knowledge as required by the Basic Police Recruit Training curriculum and the professional requirements of the City of Cocoa for Police Officers.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- This is a trainee-level position, and incumbents are expected to successfully complete the Law Enforcement Recruit Academy and transition to Police Officer or be terminated from the position.
- When trainees are not actively engaged in academy courses, they will perform office related duties during normal business hours to include such things as copying, faxing, scanning, answering the phone, and assisting with other clerical duties. In addition, trainees may attend various training exercises and observation events.
- The majority of position duties are required to be performed on-site.
- Regular, dependable, and punctual attendance is a requirement of this job.
- Essential Employees may be required to work during a declared or undeclared emergency.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or GED certificate and enrolled in an accredited law enforcement academy.
Must be at least 19 years of age and be a citizen of the United States. Must be capable of passing a comprehensive background investigation, including but not limited to a polygraph/CVSA, physical, and drug screen. Must not have been convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor involving moral turpitude. Must meet the minimum qualifications according to the Florida Statute 943.13. Must complete the Police Officer academy and pass the State Officer Certification within six (6) months of starting an academy. Must complete and pass the Field Training Program.
For positions requiring the operation of City vehicles, must possess a valid current Florida driver’s license, or be able to acquire one within 45 days of hire.