Police Officer Trainee
Salary: $79,493.23 – $96,625.57 Annually.
Police Officer Trainees attend a Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Certified Police Academy. After successful completion of academy, Police Officer Trainees will have the opportunity to be promoted to the position of Police Officer (Academy Graduate). As a Police Officer, Academy Graduates will be assigned to complete an in-house field training program under the direction of a Field Training Officer. Academy graduates will perform responsible police work, crime prevention, and community service functions.
- Attend a basic POST certified academy designed to provide an overview of the criminal justice system including laws and training in police procedures, law enforcement techniques, first aid and physical fitness.
- Undergo training to develop an awareness of functions and responsibilities of Police Officers and how they relate to field operations.
- Learn laws of arrest and pertinent local and state laws and ordinances.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- None required. However, some experience in law enforcement work is preferred.
- College credits earned while attending the police academy may be applied toward the 60-semester unit requirement.
- Candidates may be credited with 36-semester credits for a minimum of 4 years of active duty in the U.S. Armed Services (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Space Force and Coast Guard).
- Possession of a Valid Class C California State Driver’s License is required.
- Must be lawfully able to possess a firearm.
- Must be free of felony or serious misdemeanor convictions.
- Must be legally eligible for employment in the United States.