Police Officer Trainee
$26.08 – $31.71 per hour with benefits
The Police Officer Trainee position classification is under general supervision, attends and participates in a comprehensive training program at a Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) certified basic police academy and maintains academic standards required. Learns, trains, and performs all related learning and testing activities related to the technical knowledge, skills, and physical abilities required to perform in the capacity of a sworn police officer.
- High School Diploma or an equivalent certificate or diploma recognized by the State of California.
- Associate’s Degree with emphasis in criminology, law enforcement/administration of justice, political science, social or behavioral science or a related field, preferred.
- One (1) to two (2) years of experience in security, intelligence, investigations or law enforcement in the armed forces, general clerical or technical experience in a law enforcement setting, or active participation in a law enforcement-oriented cadet program, preferred.
- Able to obtain a valid Certificate of Graduation from a P.O.S.T. Police Academy within six months of hire.
- Possess a Title 22 First Aid/CPR Certificate or be able to obtain by the end of the Police Academy.
- Work periodically on a rotating shift workweek of 4 or 5 consecutive days, weekends, holidays, overtime, and respond to recall when paged and be physically available.
- Maintain a valid California Driver License with a driving record acceptable to the City.
- Failure to complete P.O.S.T. Police Academy and all eligibility requirements for promotion to Police Officer within six months of commencing the Academy Program will be grounds for termination.