Police Officer Trainee
Under close instruction and supervision, learns law enforcement and crime prevention procedures and technician during attendance at a P.O.S.T. certified academy. Receives basic law enforcement training regarding various laws and law enforcement procedures. Performs other related duties as required.
A Police Officer Trainee is not a sworn classification and will undergo training to prepare for appointment to a full-time probationary Entry-Level Police Officer position upon successful completion of a California Peace Officers Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) certified police academy. The Police Officer Trainee must successfully pass all phases of training per P.O.S.T. and Academy requirements.
8/31/2019 5:00 PM Pacific
How to Prepare for the Written Test
Applicants take the POST Entry-Level Law Enforcement Test Battery (PELLETB) exam. The PELLETB is a 2-hour test which includes 105 questions. Learn how to prepare for the PELLETB Police Exam.
• Attends P.0.S.T. certified police academy, participating in and successfully passing all mandated and required classes designated to develop awareness and understanding of the functions and responsibilities of Police Officers.
• Learns Federal, State, and Municipal laws and ordinances and their application to traffic violations and crimes; learn arrest, booking, and investigation methods.
• Learns radio communication procedures, report writing; first aid and medical emergency procedures.
• Learns use and maintenance of firearm and other police related equipment, operation of motor vehicles, including high speed driving and defensive driving.
• Participates in structured physical conditioning.
Education and/or Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for admission to a California P.O.S.T. certified Basic Police Academy as a Police Officer Candidate. A Police Officer Trainee shall possess a high school diploma or equivalent. An Associate's degree is highly desirable.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Class C California driver's license prior to appointment. A certificate of completion of a Basic Police Academy certified by California Peace Officers Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) is required prior to appointment from Police Officer Trainee to a position as a probationary Entry-Level Police Officer.
Minimum age of 21 years upon graduation. Weight must be in proportion to height. Vision must be within P.O.S.T. standards and normal color and depth perception. Successful completion of a background investigation, polygraph, psychological examination, physical agility test, and medical examination which includes a pre-employment drug and alcohol screening.