Police Officer Trainee
10/31/2023 11:59 PM Eastern
General Statement of the Job & Essential Functions
Under close supervision, this position serves as the entry level trainee classification where employees are required to attend and successfully complete a Police Academy to learn the proper procedures and policies in law enforcement and crime prevention. Reports to a Police Training Sergeant.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Learns techniques to evaluate situations and determines the most appropriate course of action including pursuing or apprehending suspects; interviewing victims, witnesses, suspects, and other contact persons; crime scene and evidence preservation.
- Studies various criminal activities requiring law enforcement intervention such as homicides, sexual assaults, robberies, property crimes, domestic violence, narcotics related activities, crimes by and against juveniles, and other crimes.
- Studies guidelines to present court testimony and maintain associated case files; becomes familiar with completing forms, preparing reports, and correspondence.
Education, Experience & Special Requirements
- Graduation from high school or GED or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Shall have reached his/her 21st birthday by the time of their Department of Criminal Justice Services Certification.
- Must pass an initial written test and physical agility.
- Requires satisfactory results from a medical, psychological evaluation and pre-employment substance abuse testing and is subject to random alcohol and controlled substance testing.
- A valid Virginia’s driver’s license prior to employment with an acceptable driving record to include a zero or positive point balance and are required to refrain from the use of tobacco.
- Must obtain and maintain for continued employment U.S. Citizenship prior to appointment as a Police Officer; all State requirements for Police Officers as specified in Virginia Code; all federal and state requirements to carry a firearm; and may require certifications such as Breathalyzer certification.
- Must be able to wear a standard issued duty belt with all applicable instrumentation.
- Must successfully complete a certified Basic Law Enforcement Academy and associated field training within one year of employment.
- Additional training may be necessary to meet the requirements of some division assignments.
- Requires a comprehensive background investigation to include a local, state and federal criminal history check; sex offender registry and credit check.