Police Officer Trainee
Police work is very challenging, inherently dangerous, but is rewarding to those who commit to a career of public service. As such, the City of Goose Creek considers only the best qualified candidates who have demonstrated positive character and integrity in their personal and professional lives to fill our police officer vacancies.
• Patrols areas within the City limits and enforces state and local laws; investigates crimes against persons and property and traffic accidents; apprehends and arrests criminals; serves warrants, subpoenas and other writs; processes bookings and photographs.
• Promotes good public relations and performs such duties as providing house security checks, emergency protection, providing escorts through the City, conducting security stand-by and providing money escorts.
• Engages in Community Oriented Policing activities.
• Provides information and assistance to the public.
• Prepares and presents cases in court.
• Responds to emergency alarms as needed to include burglar alarms, armed robberies, assaults, domestic violence and prowler calls.
• Deescalates situations to include counseling youth, suicidal subjects, mental subjects, married persons or persons in relationships, people in crisis, persons with weapons, and homicidal subjects.
• Identifies mental illnesses, and acts accordingly on a case by case basis.
• Serves as a guardian to those in need such as young children, the elderly, those with mental or physical illnesses, or anyone who does not have the ability to care for themselves.
• Receives, reviews, processes, files and submits various reports and records including incident reports, supplement reports, accident reports, booking reports, witness statements, activity sheets, various forms and records, training reports and affidavits.
• Performs crime scene processing as necessary.
• High School Diploma or GED. Some college preferred.
• Ability to obtain and maintain South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy certification or another state's law enforcement training academy, B.L.E.T. or P.O.S.T. required.
• Two (2) years of work experience that demonstrates a high level of responsibility and dependability.
• One (1) year of law enforcement related experience preferred
• Any combination of education and experience totaling two (2) years may be considered.
• Valid South Carolina Driver's License.