Police Officer Trainee
The Metro Nashville Police Department is a 24/7 operation. Employees must be able to work any day and/or shift, as needed.
- At least sixty (60) semester hours of course work from an accredited college or university with an overall G.P.A. of 2.0 (“C” average) or above
*** OR ***
- High school diploma or GED plus one of the following:
* at least two (2) years active military duty (Honorable Discharge)
* at least two (2) years as a full-time, certified (Tennessee P.O.S.T. Certification or equivalent State certification) active law enforcement officer
* three (3) years responsible, full-time work experience
*** No Other Substitutions ***
NOTE: Once hired, employees are required to successfully complete the Metro Nashville Police Training Academy.
Note: Per Metro Ordinance No. SO94-1078. All employees of the Metropolitan Government shall be residents of the State of Tennessee or become residents of the state within six (6) months of employment as a prerequisite to employment with the Metropolitan Government.
Valid Driver License
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age by the time you start the MNPD Training Academy.
- A U.S. citizen at the time of hire, or per Tennessee House Bill 0765, a permanent legal resident of the United States who is an honorably discharged veteran of the United States armed forces may be employed as a Police Officer. The officer must apply for or obtain citizenship within six (6) years of the employment start date.
- Must pass a medical examination with standards set out in the Metropolitan Charter and applicable Civil Service policies.
Review the Police Officer Trainee Employment Standards before applying.
All supporting documents must be attached to your online application at the time of application. Each document should be saved individually in a PDF format. Do not include resumes, cover letters, driver’s license, social security cards, or various training certificates.