Police Officer Trainee
This is a non-sworn trainee position in which incumbents do not gain regular status. Promotion to Police Officer is contingent upon successful completion of the basic academy and review by the Chief of Police. During training, incumbents do not have police powers but are subject to the rules and regulations of the Fontana Police Department and the police academy attended. Incumbent may be assigned non-safety duties in the Police Department during training.
$5,796/mo. + excellent benefits
Applicants who possess a PELLETB T-Score of 45 or more, within the past year from the date of application may submit their scores, on official agency letterhead, as an attachment to their application in order to be considered for an exemption from the written exam. T-Scores must be submitted at time of application.
How to Prepare for the Written Test
Applicants take the POST Entry-Level Law Enforcement Test Battery (PELLETB) exam. The PELLETB is a 2-hour test which includes 105 questions. Learn how to prepare for the PELLETB Police Exam.
- Successfully complete the basic police academy that includes classroom and field training.
- Accurately observe and remember names, faces, numbers, incidents, and places.
- Learn to use and properly care for firearms.
- Think and act quickly in emergencies, judge situations, and evaluate people accurately.
- Learn, understand, interpret, and apply laws, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Prepare clear, accurate, and grammatically correct written reports.
- Meet the requirements for police officer contained in the California State Government Code.
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions. Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of employment.
- Perform any other tasks or functions deemed necessary to the daily operations of the employer
Must be a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship with educational achievement equal to the completion of an accredited US High School or a GED.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Possession of, and continuously throughout employment, a valid CA Class “C” Driver's License.
Candidates must also satisfy the following:
AGE: At least 21 years of age upon completion of the basic police academy.
MEDICAL STANDARDS: Must meet the standards recommended by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training.
SKILL IN: Physical Agility.