Police Officer Trainee
Attends, participates and successfully completes a variety of Law Enforcement and Public Safety training necessary to attain a Police Officer I (one) or II (two) position to include Colorado Police Officer Standards and Training (POST) Certification. Lateral applicants accepted with pay commensurate with experience.
Supervision Exercised and Received: Position works under the general supervision of the Training Sergeant.
• Attends and participates in a variety of classes at a Colorado police academy with the goal of attaining a Police Officer Standards and Training (POST) Certificate.
• While participating in the Field Training Program, learns to & attains proficiency in: actively supporting the Department’s mission, values and philosophy; effectively responding to routine as well as low frequency/high risk incidents and take appropriate action in accordance with Federal, State, & local laws and the department’s mission, values, policies and procedures. Calls for service include, but are not limited to: public service, criminal, traffic, civil/domestic situations, mutual aid, medical, fire response, and domestic/wild life issues; assuming Incident Command/operations roles as necessary; contributing to and supporting the completion of the Department’s “Goals and Outcomes” measures; and addressing crime prevention, criminal activity; addressing traffic and safety issues through proactive education/enforcement; creating and maintaining a well-balanced work environment using methods that include but are not limited to foot patrol, traffic enforcement, liquor establishment inspections, crime prevention, etc., and engaging the public to answer questions, resolve issues and problem solve.
• While participating in a Field Training Program, learns to & attains proficiency in: the use of the department report management system; clearly and effectively communicating facts in chronological or a logical order (i.e. who, what, when, where, why, and how.); organizing information in reports ensuring venue and elements of the crime are included; writing reports and official documents containing a minimum number of spelling or grammatical errors, write reports promptly; drafting warrantless arrest affidavits, arrest warrants and search warrants accurately, completely and promptly; and ensuring follow up with all tasks related to case management.
• While participating in a Field Training Program, learns to, & attains proficiency in: conducting thorough investigations; making personal contacts with all involved parties; collecting and processing evidence, witness statements and any other pertinent information; documenting investigations accurately, completely and promptly; conducting follow-up investigations as assigned; and keeping the victim apprised of the status of the investigation.
• While participating in a Training Program, learns to, & attains proficiency in: being prepared, punctual, accurate, and composed when appearing in any hearing or court setting; presenting a professional appearance when testifying in court, and displaying a comprehensive knowledge of Municipal, County and District Court procedures.
Education: Associates Degree. Must be at least 21 years of age.
Experience: One (1) year of experience in Customer Service.
Technical Knowledge: Must be proficient in Microsoft Word and Email.
Licenses & Certifications: Must possess a valid Colorado driver’s license or be able to obtain one within 30 days of start date. Must complete FEMA ICS 100 and 200 within Police Officer Training period.
• Colorado POST Certification
• Customer Service Experience