Police Officer Trainee
Hiring Range: $49,591 – $54,550
Full Range: $49,591 – $75,081
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Enforces all applicable codes, ordinances, laws and regulations in order to protect life and property, prevent crime, and promote security.
- Apprehends and assists in the prosecution of criminal, traffic and municipal violations, and provides a variety of community service activities to members of the public.
- Patrols designated areas via motor vehicle, on foot, or by other means to detect and deter criminal activity and traffic violations; inspects doors, windows, and premises of residential/commercial buildings/properties to ensure security or to detect suspicious conditions; responds to active alarms at residences, businesses, and industries; checks suspicious vehicles, persons, or situations; maintains high visibility in the community; reports observed safety hazards or unsafe conditions such as missing, fallen, or damaged street or warning signs.
- Responds to calls relayed by dispatchers, including domestic disputes, abuse, assaults, rape, burglaries, thefts, fatalities, abduction, lost/missing persons, search/rescue operations, traffic accidents, property damage, alarms, bomb threats, natural disasters, public service duties, stranded motorists, motorist lockouts, or other problem situations.
- Prepares, obtains, and/or serves criminal/civil warrants.
- Participates in court activities; responds to court subpoenas; prepares case files and evidence for presentation in court; testifies and presents evidence during court.
- Provides assistance or backup support to other officers, dispatchers, court officers, jail personnel, emergency medical providers, fire department personnel, other law enforcement agencies, or other public service agencies as needed; provides emergency response on a twenty-four hour basis as needed.
- Operates a variety of standard and specialized machinery, equipment, and tools associated with law enforcement, which may include a police vehicle, standard/emergency vehicles, firearms, chemical weapons, emergency equipment, alcohol testing equipment, drug testing kits, processing kits, handcuffs, baton, flashlight, fire extinguisher, measuring devices, tape recorder, radio/communications equipment, telephone, hand tools, or general office equipment.
- Inspects and maintains assigned police vehicle, uniform, weapons, or other equipment.
- Follows safety procedures, utilizes safety equipment, and monitors work environment to ensure safety of employees and other individuals; performs driving functions in a safe and efficient manner under various conditions, including day/night hours, in congested traffic, in adverse weather conditions, and in emergency situations involving speeds in excess of posted limits.
- Must be 21 years of age.
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED equivalent
- Possess or be able to obtain a valid Tennessee driver’s license within 30 days of beginning employment.
- Not have been convicted of a felony or of a misdemeanor involving “moral turpitude” and not have been released or discharged under other than honorable conditions from the U.S. Armed Forces.
- Have visual acuity correctable to 20/20 with the ability to recognize basic colors.
- Ability to perform effectively under stress and in adverse conditions.
- Physical dexterity to carry out all assignments necessary to meet the performance standards expected of the position.