Police Officer Trainee
Salary: $41,288.00 Annually.
Work is performed under the leadership and guidance of the Chief of Police. This is a trainee classification which facilitates progression into the position of Police Officer I. Applicants are hired under a temporary employment authorization for a period not to exceed 12 months to complete the full-time State of Florida Law Enforcement Basic Recruit Training Program.
- Attend and successfully complete the full-time Basic Recruit Training Program or Exemption from Training (EFT) Program.
- Must successfully complete the State of Florida Law Enforcement Certification Exam within sixty days of graduating from the training program.
- May be assigned to specific units within the department in a support role requiring the performance of specialized duties.
- Complete assigned paperwork and computer records accurately and timely.
- Provide general information to the public.
- Subject to recall during states of emergency or department needs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must be at least 19 years of age.
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Must be a high school graduate or its equivalent.
- Must have never received a dishonorable discharge from any of the Armed Forces of the United States.
- Must be enrolled and attending an accredited State of Florida Law Enforcement Academy, Basic Recruit Training Program or Exemption from Training (EFT) Program.
- Must have completed High Liability courses in the accredited State of Florida Law Enforcement Academy, Basic Recruit Training Program or Exemption from Training (EFT) Program.
- Complete all state training and certification requirements.
- Visual ability must be correctable to 20/20 in each eye with normal color distinction and depth perception.
- Must reside within a 50-mile radius of the police department to participate in the take home car program.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class E state driver license and have a satisfactory driving history.
- Must have no convictions for any felony, perjury, false statement, or domestic violence, as well as no DUI conviction within five years of application. Other arrest histories are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Must have no pending criminal charges.
- Meet all minimum hiring standards to include Computer Voice Stress Analysis (CVSA) truth verification, written testing, oral review board, completion of a background investigation, physical ability test, psychological exam, pre-employment physical and firearms qualification.
- Applicants should truthfully complete the questions on the City Employment application. Any omissions, falsifications, misstatements, or misrepresentations of the information provided may disqualify the applicant.
- Must sign a reimbursement agreement if any training expenses are incurred by the City of Panama City for Basic Recruit training and State Certification exam. This agreement will require a two-year commitment/contract to the City of Panama City upon accepting promotion to a Police Officer I position.