Police Officer Trainee
Brentwood Police Department
Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Under close supervision participates in a comprehensive training program at a POST approved police academy for a period of approximately six months. Upon successfully completing the Academy and necessary background, psychological, and medical examinations, incumbents will be appointed to a probationary status sworn Police Officer position, and be subject to the same standards and benefits as all other City of Brentwood Police Officers.
Police Officer Trainees are hired into this temporary, limited service, non-sworn position for the period during which they are assigned to the Police Academy and until such time they are eligible to become a probationary sworn Police Officer. As a Police Officer Trainee, the incumbent serves at the pleasure of the appointing authority. Upon successful completion of the police academy and standard recruitment examinations, Police Officer Trainees are sworn in to the position of Police Officer at Step “A” of that salary range with the same benefits as all other City of Brentwood Police Officers.
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Attend a certified academy designed to provide an overview of the criminal justice system including knowledge of laws, police procedures, law enforcement techniques, first aid, and physical fitness.
- Undergoes training to develop an awareness of the functions and responsibilities of Police Officers and how they relate to field operations.
- Academy and field training includes activities such as: Instruction on proper handling and firing of firearms; Review of radio codes and applicable Penal Code sections; Overview of the court system; Public contact skills including, but not limited to: Answering telephone calls and dispensing public information; Writing and editing police reports; Observing law enforcement activities such as maintenance of order, crime prevention, and protection of citizens and property; and Review of rules, regulations, and procedures.
- Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
- None required.
- The candidate shall be at least 20-1/2 years of age at date of application.
License or Certificate:
- Possession of and ability to maintain a valid California driver’s license and satisfactory driving record. As a condition of continued employment, incumbents must successfully complete the certified POST Basic Academy course of instruction.
The following generally describes the knowledge and ability required to enter the job and/or be learned within a short period of time in order to successfully perform the assigned duties.
- Basic law enforcement terminology and concepts.
- Techniques for dealing with people of all socio-economic levels under hostile emergency situations.
- Safety practices and precautions pertaining to work.
- First aid and CPR.
- Ability to successfully complete Academy requirements.
- Observe accurately and remember names, faces, numbers, incidents and places.
- Think and act quickly in emergencies and to judge situations and people accurately.
- Learn standard operating procedures, a police department’s radio-telephone and keyboard type communications equipment.
- Understand and interpret laws and regulations.
- Prepare clear, concise, comprehensive, and grammatically correct written reports.
- Become proficient in self-defense techniques, and in care and use of firearms.
- Follow oral and written instructions.
- Establish and maintain cooperative work relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Deal courteously and effectively with the general public.
Education and Experience Guidelines - Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be: