Police Officer Trainee
$50,523.72 – $61,411.92 Annually
This recruitment is for those individuals who are looking to start their career as a police officer and have not been through an academy program.
If you have a valid POST PELLET B “T-Score” from another agency please attach it to your application, if it qualifies the written exam portion of this recruitment may be waived and you may be invited to first round interviews.
Examples of Duties / Knowledge & Skills
Some of the typical duties of the Police Officer Trainee include but are not limited to, the following:
- Successfully attend and graduate from a P.O.S.T. certified basic academy
- Learn use and care of firearms and related equipment
- Think clearly and act quickly in emergencies and judge situations and people accurately
- Learn, understand and interpret laws and regulations
- Prepare accurate and grammatically correct written reports
- Understand, explain and apply policies and procedures
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Make clear and concise radio transmissions
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships
- Meet established physical requirements
Minimum qualifications & Requirements
**Required Education: Must be a high school graduate or equivalent.
Education and/or Experience: Any combination of education and/or experience that has provided the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for satisfactory job performance. Example combinations include Two (2) years of experience in civilian law enforcement or military experience or completion of an AA/AS degree or equivalent units from an accredited College or University, or some combination thereof.
Knowledge and Skill Level:
Working knowledge of modern practices and techniques of law enforcement, patrol, investigation, public relations, and report writing; Vehicle and Penal Codes; laws of arrest; rules of evidence; legal rights of citizens; court procedures.
- Possession of or ability to obtain a Class C California driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record during the course of employment.
- Candidates must meet standards of physical stature, endurance, and agility established by the City.
- Must be at least 21 years of age at the time of academy graduation
- Applicants must be U.S. citizen or be eligible for U.S. citizenship. Persons will be disqualified from holding a position as Police Officer if they fail to diligently cooperate in the processing of their citizenship application within three years or are otherwise denied citizenship.