Police Officer (Recruit Level)
$67,080.00 – $70,179.20 Annually
Do you have a strong dedication to public service? If you do, a career with the San Diego Police Department may be for you!
A career with the San Diego Police Department offers excitement, rapid growth opportunities, work-life-balance, and the chance to make a positive impact in your community. As one of the nation’s leaders in Community Oriented Policing, we strongly value the partnerships we have built with the diverse communities of San Diego and are looking for Officers that will uphold that tradition. Throughout your career with SDPD, you’ll have the chance to follow many paths in over 70 different positions, including: Detective, SWAT, New Technologies, K9 Handler, Beach Patrol and Motor Officer, among others. SDPD offers a competitive base salary, great benefits, and many additional pay opportunities.
A San Diego Police Officer:
- Contributes to the team effort of maintaining a presence in the community that helps to deter crime and provide support to citizens
- Collaborates in building strong relationships with community members, upholding best practices of Community Oriented Policing
- Acts as a police presence at major public events to ensure public safety
- Identifies potential criminal activity or other hazardous situations and takes proper actions to protect citizens and property
- Helps to secure crime scenes and process evidence
- Responds to calls for service; Observes violations; makes arrests and citations when necessary
- Conducts criminal investigations by gathering evidence and interviewing victims and witnesses
- Documents observations and actions by radioing information; completing reports
- Fulfills court orders by testifying in court regarding criminal investigations and citations
- Maintains safe traffic conditions by monitoring and directing traffic; enforces laws and ordinances; investigates collisions; reports unsafe streets and facilities
You must meet the following requirement on the date you apply, unless otherwise indicated.
AGE: 20 years of age on the date you apply; 21 years by date of Academy graduation.
CITIZENSHIP: United States citizenship or permanent resident who is eligible for and has applied for U.S. citizenship prior to application for employment.
EDUCATION: You must meet ONE of the following options:
- Graduation from a public high school located within the United States.
- Graduation from an accredited nonpublic high school located within the United States.
- Graduation from a United States Department of Defense high school.
- Passage of the General Education Development (G.E.D.) test or passage of the California High School Proficiency Examination.
- Possession of a two-year, four-year or advanced degree from an accredited college or university (accreditation must be from an institutional accrediting body recognized by the Department of Education of the United States of America).
- Candidates screened by the San Diego Police Department must present proof of education when they submit their Background Investigation Questionnaire.
- College and/or university degree equivalency reports are not accepted to meet the education minimum requirements for this recruitment.
LICENSE: A valid California Class C Driver License is required at the time of hire.