Police Officer Recruit (Entry Level)
$37.98 – $45.47 Hourly
Police Officer Recruits perform general duty police work involving the protection of life and property, enforcement of laws and ordinances, maintenance of order, and prevention and investigation of crimes. Work is performed according to departmental regulations and procedures prescribed by superior officers and normally consists of routine patrol, traffic regulations, and crime prevention and investigation on motorcycles, or on foot.
- Successfully complete the Basic Law Enforcement Academy provided by the Washington Criminal Justice Training Commission;
- Learn and apply knowledge of basic first aid procedures;
- Resolve a variety of potentially volatile and dangerous situations in a calm, confident, and effective manner;
- Drive a patrol car under normal and adverse conditions;
- Train and use firearms safely in accordance with departmental rules;
- Clean and maintain assigned firearms and vehicles;
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions;
- Learn, interpret and apply modern principles, practices, and procedures of police work;
- Write clear and comprehensive reports;
- Work with the public and coworkers in a professional and courteous manner;
- Show initiative in performing job functions, and ability to enforce federal, state and local laws.
- You must be a United States citizen;
- You must possess a high school diploma or GED;
- You must be at least 20.5 years of age at the time of application – and be 21 years of age by date of appointment;
- You must be able to meet the physical requirements and medical standards prescribed by the City of Tacoma and Washington State
- Criminal Justice Training Commission.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- You must possess a valid motor vehicle operator’s license at time of application. A valid Washington State driver’s license is required for employment (with maintenance thereafter) and driving history will be thoroughly assessed during the hiring process.
- First Aid and CPR card upon hire with maintenance thereafter.