Police Officer Recruit
Salary: $80,880.00 – $113,748.00 Annually
The Position: Under general supervision of a Police Corporal, Sergeant, or Watch Commander, Police Officers respond to calls, observe violations, and enforce public safety and traffic laws, regulations and ordinances.
Examples of Duties
- Patrols assigned district by automobile, motorcycle/bicycle, ATV, or on foot in order to prevent and detect crime activity and enforce laws, regulations and ordinances
- Responds to radio communications, computer prompts or citizen requests and investigates reported disorders, observed violations, and related incidents
- Notes and reports traffic problems, abandoned or damaged vehicles, and other safety hazards
- Issues verbal warnings or written citations for parking, moving, and municipal violations
- Investigates traffic accidents and directs and controls the flow of traffic at the scene of accidents, signal failures, special events, natural and unnatural catastrophes in adverse weather conditions
- Investigates and prepares reports on complaints, accidents, offenses and damages to property; interviews witnesses and suspects
- Restores order and maintains peace at public gatherings or in conflict situations
- Collects and preserves physical evidence in accordance with department policy and laws
- Observes and reports conditions conducive to crime activity
- Provides information and assistance to the public in a respectful manner
- Pursues and apprehends suspects
- Makes arrests and advises suspects of rights
Any combination demonstrating the ability to effectively and successfully perform the duties of the position is considered qualifying. A typical combination is as follows:
Education: Graduation from high school or the equivalent is required. College coursework in criminal justice, administration of justice, or a related field is preferred.
Experience: Some experience involving public contact work or the enforcement of public safety rules and policies is preferred.
License/Certificate Requirements: Must obtain a valid California Class C or Class 3 driver’s license and provide evidence of an acceptable driving record; must be a US Citizen.