Police Officer Recruit
The Police Officer Recruit position is for individuals interested in a career as a Police Officer but have not yet completed Basic Academy training. Once hired, Recruits will be enrolled in a Police Academy, where they will learn the skills and duties of performing law enforcement functions. While in the Academy, Recruits are paid an hourly wage with limited benefits. Upon successful graduation from the Academy, Recruits are appointed to the rank of Police Officer.
We are searching for hard-working and dedicated individuals to join our organization. Our ideal candidate is someone who is committed to serving the public and has values that closely align with ours. Our department’s supportive, family-like environment makes Albany an attractive place to work and grow.
Examples of Duties
Management reserves the right to add, modify, change, or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
- Learn principles, procedures, terminology, and operation of equipment used in law enforcement, crime prevention, and investigation;
- Read and understand course material offered while attending the POST Basic Academy;
- Retain course materials;
- Perform physical activities required at the Basic Academy;
- Observe accurately and recall names, faces, numbers, incidents, and places;
- Remain calm and controlling own emotions in tense situations;
- Learn and interpret laws, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Carry out oral and written directions;
- Make rapid, sound independent judgments within legal and procedural guidelines;
- Prepare clear and concise reports, records, and other written materials;
- Operate a variety of specialized police department equipment including computerized telecommunications and dispatch equipment;
- Establish and maintain positive and cooperative working relationships with those contacted during the Academy at all levels.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
- High School Diploma or GED
- 20 ½ years of age or older at time of application
- Valid California Driver’s License, with a satisfactory driving record.
- California POST Entry Level Law Enforcement Test Battery (PELLETB)
- Qualifying score minimum: T-Score of 42.5
- Assessment results are valid within one year (12 months) from the date the test was administered. Applicants must submit their PELLETB scores on official letterhead from an approved training institution with their application.
- Physical Agility Testing: Testing must be completed at an regional law enforcement training center.