Police Officer Recruit
Pay Range: $49,542 – $52,020
Application Deadline: 12/31/2023
ACADEMY AND FIELD TRAINING:
Upon employment, police officer recruits attend a 24–26 week academy training program. Recruits are provided daily classroom instruction in such areas as Basic Law, Criminal Investigation, Report Writing and Cultural Diversity as well as practical experience in Defensive Driving, Firearms and Water Safety. Attainment of mandated objectives, including firearms qualification, shall be accomplished through a series of tests and practical exercises throughout the Recruit Academy session. Students are responsible for maintaining all notes taken during class, and the successful student must maintain a minimum academic average of 80% on all tests during the academy. After completing the academy, successful candidates will be assigned to a Police Training Officer for a minimum of sixteen weeks of “on the job” or field training.
Upon completion of training, a police officer enforces state laws and local ordinances and arrests suspected violators of the law; responds to citizen-initiated calls for service and conducts self-initiated investigations while patrolling a specific geographical area to deter criminal activity; explains laws and police procedures to citizens; operates keyboard data terminals; checks for want/warrants on persons; identifies, collects and preserves evidence; mediates domestic disputes; prepares various reports and documents to complete investigations; and presents evidence and testimony in a judicial setting. Police personnel are required to work rotating shifts and holidays.
- High school or GED; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age.
- Must be classified as fit for employment by the Occupational Health Office and able to pass the Departments annual physical assessment test.
- Must refrain from using all tobacco products on and off the job.
- Must have, or obtain, a current and valid Virginia or North Carolina driver’s license in accordance with Virginia or North Carolina DMV driver’s license eligibility requirements.
- Passing score on a polygraph test is required Psychological screening exam is required.
All employees may be expected to work hours in excess of their normally scheduled hours in response to short-term department needs and/or City-wide emergencies.