Police Officer Recruit
SALARY Grade: 209 Min: $44,92
This classification protects life and property, to deter criminal activity, and enforces all local, state and federal laws, statutes and regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
The functions listed below are those that represent the majority of the time spent working in this position. Management may assign additional functions related to the type of work of the position as necessary.
- Trains and enforces all applicable codes, ordinances, laws and regulations (both traffic and criminal) in order to protect life and property, prevent crime, and promote security.
- Patrols designated areas via motor vehicle or on foot, to detect and deter criminal activity and traffic violations; inspects doors, windows, and premises of residential/commercial buildings/properties to ensure security or to detect suspicious conditions; responds to active alarms at residences, businesses, and industries; maintains high visibility in the community.
- Responds to calls relayed by dispatchers, including domestic disputes, abuse, assaults, burglaries, thefts, fatalities, traffic accidents, property damage, alarms, bomb threats, lost or missing persons searches, rescue operations, unattended deaths, public service duties, stranded motorists, or dangerous drivers.
- Prevents/discovers commission of crime; writes citations; pursues fleeing suspects; apprehends, arrests and processes criminals, fugitives and offenders as appropriate; assists in booking inmates into jail; transports arrestees, prisoners, members of the general public, or other individuals as required.
- Conducts preliminary investigations; interviews victims, complainants and witnesses and takes statements; gathers information and evidence; secures crime scenes; prepares investigative reports and sketches; participates in court activities; testifies in judicial proceedings.
- Conducts rescue functions at accidents, emergencies, and disasters, which may include lifting, dragging or carrying people away from dangerous situations, securing/evacuating people from particular areas, administering medical aid, or extinguishing small fires.
- Provides assistance and backup support to other officers as necessary; provides emergency response on a twenty-four hour basis as needed; provides assistance to other law enforcement or public service agencies as appropriate.
- Establishes road blocks; administers roadside field sobriety tests; writes citations; identifies wanted persons/vehicles; impounds vehicles; assists stranded motorists; ensures roadways are clear of obstacles and hazards.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Requires a high school diploma or required; supplemented by one (1) year of work experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
- Must obtain and maintain Basic Law Enforcement certification.
- Requires a valid state driver’s license with acceptable driving history.