Police Officer Recruit
General Description and Classification Standards
Attends required training and prepares for the job duties of a sworn Atlanta Police Officer. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to: attending the Police Academy; preparing for tests; maintaining equipment; compiling reports; and assisting in building upkeep.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
These are typical responsibilities for this position and should not be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Attends Police Academy training in accordance with state law and Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Council (POST) mandate.
- Participates in physical training, arrest procedures, firearms use, and safety and other tools required for performance of duties.
- Learns various aspects of departmental procedures within an assigned unit of the department and becomes familiar with officer assignments once joining the Police Department.
- Prepares for various testing as required including written examinations, firearms proficiency and required driving skills.
- Maintains assigned equipment including firearms, motor vehicles, first aid supplies and any other equipment utilized in the performance of duties and follows safety procedures and ensures optimum operation.
- Compiles various crime related and statistical reports following specified guidelines; utilizes a variety of written and oral sources; and reviews for complete and accurate information and distributes as appropriate.
- Organizes and prioritizes daily work assignments and works to meet the goals and objectives of the department.
- Minimum Qualifications – Education and Experience
- High school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) and must be at least 21 years of age.
Preferred Education & Experience
- High school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) and previous experience in a law enforcement environment preferred.
- Licensures and Certifications
- Valid Georgia driver’s license required.