To provide related community services, carry out special assignments, and patrol an assigned area. Works an assigned shift and performs various law enforcement duties including the protection of persons and property, the prevention and investigation of crimes; the apprehension of law violators; resolves community problems; maintains community safety and security; controls traffic flow and enforces State and local traffic regulations.
• Patrol an assigned area to prevent crime, maintain order and enforce laws and regulations;
• Respond to calls from general public and crime victims, traffic hazards; misdemeanors and felony incidents;
• Respond to radio, telephone or computer messages or instructions and complete the assignment;
• Investigate and analyze specific crime cases, make arrests, issue citations and give warnings; performs booking procedures and interviews witnesses to gain information;
• Investigate and prepare reports on offenses, arrests, accidents, and property damage, and administrative matters using a combination of writing and computer skills;
• Analyze, suggest and implement solutions to police problems in an assigned area;
• Control uncooperative subjects;
• Appear in court on and off duty and give credible testimony;
• Transport prisoners;
A combination of experience and education that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities may be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Entry-level: Must have the ability to successfully complete a California POST Basic Academy and the City of Newport Beach Police Department Field Training Program.
Lateral: Must have successfully completed probationary period and training program at another law enforcement agency; and must possess current a California POST Basic certificate.
Education: Equivalent to the completion of twelfth grade. College level coursework or other specialized training in police science, psychology, public administration or related field is highly desirable.
License/Certificate: Due to the performance of some field duties which require the operation of a personal or City vehicle, a valid and appropriate California driver's license and an acceptable driving record are required.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Minimum age at time of appointment is 20.5 years. Must be a US citizen or permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for US citizenship. Record must be free from conviction of any felony or misdemeanor involving moral turpitude or domestic violence, and from an excessive number of citations for traffic violations. Background history should indicate responsibility, dependability, honesty, integrity, acceptable communication skills, good judgment and the ability to relate well to others. All employees hired after January 1, 1999, shall not smoke or use tobacco products at any time while on or off duty.