Police Officer Recruit
Salary: $57,063.24 – $72,047.35 Annually
Closing Date: 9/22/2023 11:59 AM Central
Examples of Duties
- Patrols an assigned beat, generally by car, to deter crime and observe law violations
- Makes arrests of person violating laws and ordinances
- Inspects residential, commercial and other buildings on assigned beat for indications of tampering, juvenile mischief of unauthorized entry
- Responds to emergency calls, routine complaints and alarm systems and takes action as necessary
- Conducts open observation for traffic law violators; writes traffic and parking citations
- Accompanies prisoners to jail or court; books prisoners into jail; may assist in the care of prisoners
- Checks NCIC and TCIC for information on suspects or persons stopped for traffic violations
- Conducts preliminary investigations at crime scenes prior to arrival of supervisor
- Conducts traffic accident investigations and writes required reports
All applicants should review the TCOLE Minimum Requirement for licensure by clicking here.
- Must be a citizen of the United States of America
- Must have high school diploma/GED
- Must be at least 21 years of age when licensed, OR
- 18 years of age with 60 hours of study at an accredited college or university, OR
- 18 years of age with an Associate degree from an accredited college or university, OR
- 18 years of age with Honorable Discharge after 2 years of military service.
- Applicants 45 years of age or older will not be eligible.
- Must pass written examination with a score of 70.
- Must pass physical agility examination, oral interviews, and psychological evaluation.
- Must pass a thorough background investigation with no Class B Misdemeanors (within the previous 10 years) or any Class A Misdemeanor or Felony offenses within the lifetime of the applicant.
- Offenses from other states will be related to comparable Texas State Statues.
- Never convicted in any court of an offense involving family violence as defined under Chapter 71, Texas Family Code.
- Valid Texas driver’s license at the time of placement
- Must have driving record sufficient for coverage by City’s auto liability carrier