Police Officer Recruit
PAY RATE $52,560 Annually
The City of South Bend accepts applications for the position of Police Officer Recruit on a rolling basis.
We are looking for the best and brightest recruits to become a member of the fourth largest police department in the state. Please take a few moments to learn more about the rewards and benefits of becoming a South Bend Police Officer. If you have any questions please feel free to contact our Training Division for additional information, at (574) 235-9224.
It is the goal of the South Bend Police Department to recruit the most qualified persons, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin or disability, to serve the residents of South Bend as police officers. Hiring requirements are based on job-related criteria, taking into consideration the knowledge, personal attributes, skills, and training required to perform the job tasks, so as to further the principle of equal employment opportunity.
- United States Citizen
- Must be 21 years of age at time of application (and up to 40 years of age at the time of swearing, or 40.5 years of age at the time of swearing if retired military with 20 years of service and honorable discharge, in accordance with HB1359)
- Have a high school diploma or GED certificate
- Must be able to pass a competitive written exam
- Have no felony criminal convictions
- Have no conviction of domestic violence or a domestic violence-related offense (either misdemeanor or felony)
- Must be willing, if appointed, to reside within St. Joseph County or adjoining county in Indiana (or State of Michigan)
- Must be of good moral character
- Must pass mandatory drug screening
- Have no previous use of hallucinogenic drugs (LSD, Mushrooms, Mescaline, Ecstasy, etc.)
- Possess a valid driver’s license from current state of residence
- Military discharge (if applicable) cannot be characterized as “other than honorable”, “bad conduct”, or “dishonorable”
- Must be able to pass a physical agility assessment test
- Must submit to in-depth background investigation, Computer Voice Stress Analysis Exam, psychological testing, and medical examination