Police Officer Recruit
Closing Date: December 31, 2023.
A Police Officer Recruit performs tasks at a training level to prepare to become a certified Police Officer. The job includes participation in formal, structured training at a police academy and participation in training classes arranged by in-service trainers. Work methods and results are under constant review by supervisory personnel through observation, discussion and results achieved. Upon successful completion of the training period, as determined by the Police Chief, a Police Officer Recruit may be appointed to the class of Police Officer.
A Police Officer Recruit receives training to enforce state and local laws and ordinances, respond to calls for the protection of life and property, conduct criminal and non-criminal investigations, make arrests and perform other assigned law enforcement and public safety duties to preserve the peace, reduce fear and provide for a safe community environment. Duties normally consist of patrol and traffic activities in the City on an assigned shift with constant supervision.
- Patrols assigned areas of the City; enforces federal, state and local laws and ordinances.
- Maintains community presence; responds to calls related to the protection of life and property, traffic incidents and other public safety emergencies.
- Responds to calls that may include domestic violence, burglaries, juvenile disturbances, civil disturbances, health and welfare assistance, animal problems, civil protection, medical and fire calls, bomb threats, hazardous material spills and other public and life safety incidents.
- Determines the existence of probable cause and identifies and takes suspects and offenders into physical custody or refers charges for review and prosecution. Issues warnings and citations; performs appropriate field tests as needed.
- Prepares reports of arrests, activities performed and unusual incidents observed. Conducts both
preliminary and follow-up investigations and collects evidence in disturbances, criminal incidents, hazardous
incidents, vehicle accidents and deaths.
- Verbally interacts with witnesses and victims, suspects andClassification Title: Police Officer Recruit Historical Paygrade 17P Page 2 offenders to obtain information. Conducts examinations of persons, vehicles, premises or areas to determine the presence of individuals or illegal activities or articles. Takes suspect or offender into custody and delivers them to appropriate confinement locations, maintaining security and safety of individuals.
- Coordinates and conducts detailed investigations of violent crimes, child abuse, property crimes, vice,
gaming and narcotics violations.
- Identifies and implements safety emergency plans, evacuation plans and emergency drills. Assists medical
personnel and outside agencies with investigations. Interacts with citizens in the community. Interacts with
persons who are mentally ill and places them into protective custody when appropriate.
- Develops and maintains ongoing partnerships and relationships with police officers, citizens, schools and
school personnel and various community organizations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must be 21 years of age.
- No drug use in the last 3 years.
- No DUI convictions within the last 5 years.
- High school diploma or GED equivalency is required.
- Valid Idaho Driver’s License is required.
- Some experience in law enforcement or college level coursework in criminal justice or other law.
enforcement or military operation is preferred.