Police Officer – Recruit
Salary: $65,976.00 Annually.
Police Officer Recruits are hired into this temporary non-sworn position for the period during which they are enrolled in the Police Academy. They are not covered by the City’s classified (Civil Service) system, and serve at the pleasure of the Chief of Police. Police Officer Recruit benefits are limited to those required by law. City of El Cerrito Police Officer Recruits are enrolled in CalPERS under the Miscellaneous Formula while attending the academy. Upon successful completion of the curriculum and the battery of physical fitness tests at the training academy, Police Recruits are sworn in and appointed to the classified position of Police Officer, at Step 1 of that salary range with full benefits (including CalPERS at the Safety Formula).
- Laws and Penal Codes;
- Criminal justice system procedures;
- Law enforcement and crime prevention techniques;
- Physical fitness and first aid;
- Proper handling and firing of firearms;
- Radio codes and dispatching procedures;
- Public contact skills;
- Interviewing and taking complaints;
- Writing and editing police reports;
- Investigative techniques;
- Procedures regarding arrest and the handling of suspects; and
- Learning departmental rules and regulations.
- Meet vision requirement of not less than 20/100, correctable to 20/30;
- Possess a high school diploma or G.E.D.;
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident alien with an application for citizenship completed at least one year prior of date of application (citizenship must be obtained no later than three years after date of application or disqualification will result);
- Have a valid California Class C driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record;
- Be free of felony convictions.