Police Officer/Police Recruit
Do you have a heart to serve, have an interest in the criminal justice field and want a meaningful and challenging career? The position of Police Officer requires courage, perseverance, compassion, responsibility, and trustworthiness. Does this describe you?
The Springfield Police Department is looking for outstanding civilians to be a dedicated and motivated servant for public safety as a Springfield Police Officer. The ideal candidate is someone who is committed to public service, making a positive impact on the community, and who is a person of integrity.
As a Springfield Police Officer, you’ll have received quality training through the Academy to prepare you for the position. You will start off in patrol, responding to emergency and non-emergency calls for service and promoting the safety of the public and of fellow police officers. You will be a proactive member of our Department, engaging in community-oriented policing, traffic enforcement, and on occasion, special detail. SPD is one of the best agencies in Missouri for specialized assignments and promotional opportunities.
$37,024.00 – $65,457.60 Annually
2/7/2020 11:59 PM Central
Experience, Education, and Training
• Must be a high school graduate or have a G.E.D.
• In addition, must possess 60 semester hours from an accredited college or university;
• Class A POST certified peace officer or currently enrolled in a Class A POST program with successful passing of POST exam within six months of application deadline;
• Two years of active duty military service with an honorable discharge;
• Possess a Missouri Class B certification as a peace officer plus at least two years of full time law enforcement experience within the last 5 years;
• Possess 30 semester hours from an accredited college or university plus three years of experience as a Springfield Police Cadet to enter the Academy.
• Law enforcement experience and/or education preferred, but not required.
• U.S. Citizen
• 21 years of age at commission
• Excellent physical condition
• No felony convictions
• No conviction for domestic assault
• No more than one DWI conviction; and no DWI conviction in the past three years
• May not have two (2) moving violations from separate incidents within the past twelve months, or have been at fault in more than one (1) traffic crash/accident during the past twelve (12) months
• Meet vision and hearing standards
• No objectionable tattoos and no tattoos visible while on duty (i.e. can be covered with a long sleeve shirt), or when representing SPD in an official capacity, unless approved by the Chief of Police
• May not have used an illegal controlled substance within the last three years
Police Officer (Lateral) Requirements
In addition to the requirements listed above, lateral candidates must possess the following:
• A MO POST Class A license (if candidate does not possess a MO POST Class A license, but possesses law enforcement certification through another state, he/she may participate in the testing process while seeking reciprocity through MO POST)
• A minimum of two years full time sworn police experience in any state within the last five years. Police experience must include the primary duties of responding to calls for service, conducting preliminary and/or follow-up investigations of crimes, responding to traffic accidents and apprehending, detaining and arresting suspects.