Police Officer (Patrol)
GENERAL STATEMENT OF JOB
Under general supervision, protects life and property through the enforcement of local, state and federal laws and ordinances. Work involves performing general patrol duties, maintaining a positive and cooperative relationship between the department and the community it serves, and performing related law enforcement work as required. Employee works under stressful, high-risk conditions. Reports to the Sergeant.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs general patrol duties, including but not limited to patrolling assigned areas of the City, monitoring property security, responding to emergency calls and/or public calls for assistance, apprehending and arresting suspects and violent persons, securing crime scenes, seizing property and/or criminal evidence, maintaining public order, transporting prisoners and mental patients, etc.
- Administers first aid to the injured at crime and accident scenes and assists emergency medical personnel as requested.
- Performs traffic enforcement duties, including issuing traffic and parking tickets and warnings, detecting DUI suspects, and assisting with accident reconstruction and investigations.
- Serves warrants, summonses and other official papers.
- Assists with criminal investigations. Interviews witnesses, complainants and victims; interrogates suspects; gathers physical evidence and preserves it for court; provides case follow-up as needed.
- Processes prisoners for arrest through court processes.
- Provides testimony and presents evidence in court as necessary.
- Performs routine service duties, including but not limited to providing escort service for the protection of persons and/or property, assisting stranded motorists.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Requires a high school diploma or GED equivalent, or any equivalent combination of education,
training, and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Must successfully complete basic training at the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy within one
year of employment.
- Must possess a valid South Carolina driver’s license.