Police Officer (Non-Certified)
Performs intermediate protective service work investigating criminal activity and enforcing laws to ensure safety of public, collecting evidence, testifying in court, preparing and maintaining financial records and reports, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the moderate supervision of the Police Sergeant.
- On an assigned shift, operates a patrol vehicle or walks to observe for violations of traffic laws, suspicious activities, or persons, and disturbances of law and order.
- Responds to radio dispatches and 9-1-1 calls; answers calls and complaints.
- Conducts traffic stops and enforcement; monitors and checks public and private property for signs of criminal or hazardous activity; analyzes traffic and community problems.
- Conducts criminal investigations including traffic crashes; provides follow-up on cases; writes and serves warrants; collects and processes evidence; conducts interviews.
- Prepares for court; testifies as required.
- Performs administrative duties including preparing detailed reports on activities and assignments; communicates via emails as needed.
- Engages in community policing; contacts shop owners; builds and maintains community relations.
- Participates in a variety of in-service and special training programs; maintains certifications including weapons qualifications.
- U.S. Citizen.
- Must be 21 years of age at time of appointment.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Be of character and reputation to pass an extensive background investigation.
- Associate’s, Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a related field.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish.