Police Officer – Lateral/Academy Graduate
$80,724.60 – $98,121.24 Annually
To perform law enforcement and crime prevention work; to control traffic flow and enforce State and local traffic regulations; to perform investigative work and other special assignments; and to perform a variety of technical law enforcement tasks.
- As a patrol officer, patrol the City in radio-equipped car or on foot; answer calls for the protection of life and property, and the enforcement of City, county, and state laws; may conduct both preliminary and follow-up investigations of disturbances, prowlers, burglaries, thefts, hold-ups, death, and other criminal incidents.
- Patrol the City and respond to calls related to traffic incidents and other required emergencies; observe, monitor and control routine and unusual traffic conditions; issue traffic citations; assist and advise motorist and enforce traffic safety laws.
- When assigned, serve as a police detective; coordinate and conduct complete and detailed investigations of crimes involving juveniles and adults, crimes against persons and property, and crimes involving vice, gambling, and narcotics violations.
- When assigned, serve as crime prevention officer; participate in the development and promotion of crime prevention, activities, such as citizen watch and security survey programs; work with citizens to complement programs; make public presentations; maintain program statistics and reports.
- Collect and preserve evidence at scene of crime and/or accident; lift fingerprints; draw sketches; take photographs.
Experience and Training Guidelines
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Equivalent to completion of twelfth grade, preferably supplemented by 30 units of college level course work.
License or Certificate
Possession of an appropriate P.O.S.T. certificate within one year after appointment.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California driver’s license.