Police Officer Lateral/Academy Graduate
$78,145.60 – $115,460.80 Annually
City of La Mesa – “The Jewel of the Hills”
Announces An Exceptional Law Enforcement Career Opportunity
POLICE OFFICER – LATERAL/ACADEMY GRADUATE
Police Hiring Incentive Bonus for LATERAL Officers is available now!
City of La Mesa Police Officers enforce laws and prevent crimes; control traffic flow and enforce State and local traffic regulations; participate in and conduct a variety of criminal investigations; provide support and assistance to special crime prevention and law enforcement programs; and perform a variety of technical and administrative tasks in support of law enforcement services and activities.
- Patrol designated areas of the City in car, by foot, or other means to preserve law and order, discover and prevent the commission of crimes, and enforce traffic and other laws and ordinances; maintain awareness of and remain alert for wanted suspects, known criminals, stolen vehicles, missing persons, traffic violators, and crimes in progress; issue warnings and citations.
- Respond to calls for the protection of life and property, the enforcement of laws and ordinances, general public service calls, and complaints including those involving automobile accidents, traffic hazards, misdemeanor and felony incidents, domestic disturbances, property control, civil complaints, animal control, and related incidents; respond to and provide assistance at a variety of public service type calls that are non-criminal in nature.
- Conduct investigations at scenes of incidents to which summoned or incidents observed; determine what, if any crime has been committed; identify, collect, preserve, process, photograph, and book evidence; locate and interview victims and witnesses; identify and interrogate suspects.
- Prepare and serve search and arrest warrants; apprehend and arrest offenders for crimes committed under Federal, State and local laws and codes; control and mitigate people under the influence of drugs or alcohol or other potentially hostile situations.
- Direct traffic at fires, special events, and other emergency situations; provide traffic and crowd control at parades, festivals, riots, and other events.
- Serve as liaison and public relations officer for the assigned area; establish and preserve good relationships with the general public; may develop reliable informants and provide intelligence information to divisional and/or departmental personnel.
- Contact and cooperate with other law enforcement agencies in matters relating to the apprehension of offenders and the investigation of offenses; may respond to requests for assistance from agencies outside the City for mutual aid in the suppression of civil disturbances, apprehension of criminals, or other related requests.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Must be at least 20-1/2 years of age at time of application submission.
Must be a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship.
Requires high school graduation, passage of the General Education Development Test (GED) or attainment of a two-year or four-year degree from an accredited college or university.
Police Officer – Lateral Transfer: Any experience as a sworn peace officer in the State of California, or equivalent. Possession of a California P.O.S.T. Basic Certificate, California P.O.S.T. Basic Academy Certificate, or a California P.O.S.T. Basic Course Waiver Certificate.
Police Officer – Academy Graduate: Graduation from a California P.O.S.T. approved police academy. Possession of a California P.O.S.T. Basic Academy Certificate.
NOTE: Individuals currently enrolled in a POST-approved academy who are within three (3) months of graduation at the time of application submittal are eligible for consideration. Proof of academy enrollment must be submitted during the online application process.
Possession of an appropriate, valid driver’s license.