Police Officer – Lateral
The City of Sugar Land is located on the southwest side of Houston and is one of the fastest growing communities in the state. With a population of 111,000+, Sugar Land has been repeatedly ranked as one of America’s safest cities in the past ten years. Sugar Land boasts a diverse population, entertainment venues and a vibrant business community. The Sugar Land Police Department is a CALEA accredited department of over 180 sworn officers with opportunities for specialized assignments and training.
The City of Sugar Land, a municipality with a population of 111,026, provides the highest quality of affordable services to meet the needs of its residents. And our citizens agree—the most recent Citizen Satisfaction Survey told us that 95% of our residents love calling Sugar Land home and 10% say that nothing would make their lives better than it already is, but we look to the future and work hard to make our community and the world better than we can even imagine.
We have an informal work environment but are serious about what we do. We believe that happy, diverse and talented employees add value to the City. We do our best to hire friendly, professional people who work hard and play well with others. We also promote a healthy work-life balance and personal development.
WE ARE TRAILBLAZERS! Relentless in Our Pursuit of Good so that Our Employees, Residents, and Businesses Can Enjoy a Life Better than They Can Even Imagine.
Our trailblazing culture focuses on our employees, our citizens and the services we provide our community. We are a data-driven and innovative full-service municipality located approximately 20 miles southwest of downtown Houston that invests in our team and offers real opportunities for career growth. We pay our Lateral Police Officers a starting salary of $33.55 to $38.58 per hour depending on qualifications, plus a sign-on bonus of $10,000. We also offer great benefits and perks available on your first day of employment, including: City-subsidized health benefits; life and disability insurance; a variety of voluntary benefits; a robust pension plan with TMRS to set you up for a fulfilling retirement; and a positive team-oriented culture stemming from a long-term commitment to innovation and inclusion.
- City-subsidized Medical and Dental Insurance with a variety of plan options;
- City-paid Basic Life Insurance @ 1x your annual salary and Long-term Disability;
- Voluntary Vision, Supplemental Life Coverage (for you and your family), Aflac indemnity plans such as Accident, Cancer, Hospitalization and Critical Illness, Short Term Disability and pre-paid legal benefits through Legal Shield;
- 9 paid holidays and up to 3 floating holidays to use at your discretion;
- A generous vacation package with accruals starting on day 1;
- Paid sick leave;
- Paid Parental Leave;
- A robust pension plan with TMRS includes your 7% contribution with 2:1 match by the City;
- You won’t contribute to Social Security, but you can further your retirement income by contributing to a Deferred Compensation (457b) plan;
- Longevity pay for each month of service after your first 13 months of employment;
- On-site Wellness facilities and programming (mind, body spirit & financial preparedness); and
- Access to multiple mental health benefits and resources, including a robust EAP…
If we have your attention… Please. Continue. Reading!
Our City Mission: WE ARE TRAILBLAZERS! Relentless in Our Pursuit of Good so that Our Employees, Residents, and Businesses Can Enjoy a Life Better than They Can Even Imagine.
Our Employee Values: Our values ignite passion, drive, and a sense of purpose, fostering a thriving and successful organizational culture!
Bold: We encourage each other to be bold in our ideas, decisions, and actions. We embrace innovation and take risks to drive progress.
Loyal: We are loyal to each other, the City and our Mission and Vision. We support each other to foster a cohesive and collaborative work environment. We celebrate our successes and address the challenges facing us, together.
Adaptable: We are resilient because we adapt to changing landscapes and market dynamics. We are flexible and understand the need for work-life balance. We embrace new technologies and evolving trends.
Zealous: We are committed to excellence in all endeavors. We encourage each other to strive for the highest standards of public service, quality, and performance. We hold ourselves, and each other, accountable for our words and actions.
Empowered: We are empowered with the necessary resources, opportunities, and responsibilities to excel in our roles. We seek out opportunities for development and growth, and help others do the same. We are inclusive, we embrace our differences and recognize the strength that comes from different perspectives and experiences.
We are TrailBLAZErs!
Summary of Duties
Requirements for Certified Police Officer
A Lateral – Certified Police Officer is an individual who has attended a Police Academy and is certified and commissioned as a Peace Officer by TCOLE (Texas Commission on Law Enforcement). Qualified candidates must have:
- at least three years of service as a sworn peace officer in the State of Texas with one agency.
- In addition, qualified candidates must have a valid driver’s license with a good driving record and a stable employment record with no history of any conduct which may affect suitability for law enforcement work. Candidates must pass each step of the selection process, which includes: physical fitness test, oral interview board, polygraph test, and a thorough background investigation. Candidates should be aware that sensitive or confidential aspects of their personal lives will be explored. Admission, discovery or conviction of a felony is a permanent rejection. A job description for a City of Sugar Land Certified Police Officer is posted on-line. Non-smokers are preferred.
- FY2023 Starting Pay: $69,784 – $80,246.40 Dependent on Qualifications + Sign-On Bonus
- Incentive pay for education and TCOLE certifications
- Associate’s Degree, Intermediate Certificate $600 annually each
- Bachelor’s Degree, Advanced Certificate $1200 annually each
- Master’s Degree, Master’s Certificate $1800 annually each
- Member – Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS) – 7% contribution with 2:1 matching funds.
- Excellent health benefits.
- Uniforms, weapons and equipment provided.
- 11 paid holidays annually, sick leave and 80 hours paid vacation annually.
Recruitment/Selection Process (You must pass each step of the selection process before you go to the next step.)
Step 1: Complete an Application
Applications will be on-going until positions are filled. Qualified candidates will be notified by e-mail that they are eligible to test and provided available testing dates to schedule.
To complete an application, go to www.sugarlandtx.gov click on “Employment”, scroll to the list of open positions and select “Lateral – Certified Police Officer”. You must complete the on-line application.
Step 2: Background Packet Completion
Applicants will be required to bring a completed Personal History Statement to the Training Unit on the scheduled testing date.
Step 3: Testing (Physical Assessment and Interview Panel –scheduled for same day)
- A physical assessment will be administered. Information about these requirements is posted on-line and will be e-mailed to applicants.
- An interview will be conducted with those applicants who have passed the physical assessment. This interview is pass or fail, and will consist of 3 parts:
1. getting to know the applicant
2. job knowledge questions
3. situational reasoning questions
Step 4: Background Packet Submission and Investigation
Applicants who pass the phases of testing and interview panel will submit their completed personal history statement to the Training Unit. A background investigation will be conducted.
Step 5: Polygraph Examination
Applicants who pass the background investigation and are being considered for sworn employment will undergo a polygraph examination.
Related Time Periods and Information:
This process will remain open until positions are filled.
If an applicant is rejected for any of the reasons listed in the “Rejection Criteria”, they will be required to wait the specified time to apply again.
Final Steps: Eligibility Pool, Conditional Job Offer, Medical and Psychological Testing
Candidates who pass all of the above are placed in an eligibility (applicant) pool. This is not a guarantee of employment; however, the City of Sugar Land does make job offers from the applicant pool. Subsequently, if a conditional job offer is made to a candidate by the Chief of Police, the candidate must successfully complete medical and psychological exams before a final job offer is made by the People & Culture Department.
Candidates should be aware that sensitive or confidential aspects of their personal lives will be explored.
Equal Opportunity Employer – Drug Free Workplace
Posted November 14, 2023
*Sign-On Bonus will be distributed in three phases:
$2,500.00 upon initial start
$2,500 upon completion of Field Training
$5,000 upon completion of 1 year of employment
For detailed information and to apply online please visit our website at www.sugarlandtx.gov and look under “Job Opportunities”. For any other inquiries please contact the Sugar Land Police Department Training Unit at 281-275-2914.