Police Officer (Lateral)
Salary: $50.37 – $61.19 Hourly.
- Efficiently responds to and accurately investigates criminal activities and incidents. Effectively conducts crime scene investigations such as the collection and preservation of physical evidence, interrogation, and field identification. Accurately evaluates and documents case facts to determine needed additional information and implements required follow-up.
- Consistently and conscientiously observes and issues oral/written warnings or written citations for parking or moving violations. Accurately investigates, reports and/or documents traffic incidents and gathers pertinent evidence. Effectively directs and controls the flow of traffic when necessary.
- Walks or drives through assigned area to look for conditions which may facilitate violation of laws, to deter crime and project the threat of apprehension. Accurately investigates and initiates correction of public safety hazards.
- Conscientiously retrieves, identifies, and returns to owner found property. Effectively restores order, protects life and property, and maintains peace at public gatherings and in conflict situations. Accurately and promptly provides emergency aid and assistance to incapacitated persons. Efficiently provides additional services and assistance to the public.
- Actively participates in surveillance of persons, places, or objects to obtain needed information. Effectively establishes and maintains contact and information flow with person to gather criminal activity data. Competently participates in the planning and execution of raids and searches to gather criminal evidence. Enforces laws and ordinances and ensures public compliance. Efficiently pursues and properly apprehends suspects in order to place them in police custody.
- Actively and efficiently participates in the preparation and presentation of case evidence in a court of law.
- Effectively provides on-the-job training and evaluation for recruit/trainee police officers.
- When specifically assigned, performs administrative duties to maintain and enhance efficient department operations.
- Qualified applicants must possess a high school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent. Prior experience in law enforcement and successful completion of some college course work in criminology, police sciences or a related field is desirable.
- Must be at least 21 years of age at the time of appointment.
- Must possess of a Basic Certificate from P.O.S.T. at the time of appointment to Police Officer.
- 20/100 uncorrected vision in each eye, correctable to 20/30 or better. Must have normal color vision as established from an established color vision test, and no hearing loss over 25 db in the 500, 1000, 2000 frequency range. No loss over 45 db in the 3000 or 4000 range as revealed by standard auditory test.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain a valid Class C California driver’s license and proof of auto liability insurance is required.
- Satisfactory completion of a thorough background investigation. Must have not been convicted for a crime which could have resulted in state or federal imprisonment.
- Successful completion of drug screen, medical, psychological, and polygraph examinations.