Police Officer- Lateral
$58,881.71 – $73,602.14 Annually
To perform a variety of duties in the enforcement of laws and the prevention of crimes; to control traffic flow and enforce State and local traffic regulations; and to perform a variety of technical and administrative tasks in support of the Police Department and other public safety agencies.
Examples of Duties
1. Patrol a designated area of the City to preserve law and order, discover and prevent the commission of crimes and enforce traffic and other laws and ordinances.
2. Respond to general public service calls, crime victims, traffic hazards, stray animal reports and related misdemeanors and felony incidents.
3. Perform criminal investigations; interview and take statements from victims, suspects and witnesses; obtain and secure evidence of criminal activity.
4. Serve arrest warrants; make arrests for crimes committed under penal, fish and game and welfare and institute codes; control and mitigate people under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
5. Process and store evidence and property found at various crime scenes; maintain records and enter data into computer.
6. Perform booking procedures for new prisoners; complete a variety of forms, fingerprinting and photographing.
7. Prepare presentation of evidence in court; testify in civil courts and hearings; prepare and process court reports.
8. Gather, file and maintain current database of currently licensed liquor establishments, gaming sites and license holders.
9. Maintain and update records and files of activities and operations; prepare reports as necessary.
Two years of increasingly responsible law enforcement experience.
Equivalent to an Associates degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in police science, criminal justice or a related field.
License or Certificate
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid driver’s license.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid peace officer license.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid weapons certificate.
Possession of, or ability to obtain appropriate hazardous materials training.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid C.P.R. Certificate.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, traffic radar certificate.