Police Officer, Lateral
Salary: $29.54 – $37.92 Hourly.
The Needham Police Department is seeking highly motivated, experienced Police Officers for lateral transfer into our department. The Needham Police Department is a highly progressive police agency offering many opportunities for career development and advancement.
- Under the direction of a Sergeant, conduct routine preventative patrols in designated areas to keep peace and order; protect life and property and prevent crime.
- Maintain a high degree of visibility in areas assigned to patrol to deter lawbreakers and/or those inclined to disturb the peace.
- Respond to calls for police service; resolves domestic disputes, disturbances and other incidents through counseling or referral; settles disputes among neighbors, and resolves any and all complaints from citizens of the community.
- Respond to calls for motor vehicle and other accidents or natural disasters, rendering medical assistance, obtaining facts and names of witnesses, and maintaining control of onlookers to ensure efficient passage for persons engaged in solution of problem.
- Investigate calls of possible criminal activity reported to the Department; make arrests and/or issue complaints where there is sufficient cause and appear in court as required.
- Performs community relation activities and maintains and open line of communication with the community.
- A minimum of 2 years full time experience as a full-time law enforcement officer from any U.S. law enforcement agency.
- Candidates must either have graduated from a full-time Massachusetts certified police academy (MPTC), have completed the Massachusetts Bridge Police Academy (MPTC) and be certified to work as a full-time police officer, or be eligible for a waiver from the Massachusetts Police Training Committee (MPTC) for having attended a certified Police Academy and meeting the qualifications as set forth in 555 Code of Massachusetts Regulations 3.03(a).
- Must not be listed on the National De-Certification List, and be certified as a Police Officer in Massachusetts.
- U.S. Citizen.
- Not be a convicted felon or have any equivalent convictions that would be a felony in Massachusetts.
- At least 21 years of age at the time of applying.
- High school graduate or possess a General Equivalency Diploma.
- Be a non-smoker.
- Withing 30 days of hire, must establish residency with a 20-mile radius of the Town of Needham (List of Qualifying towns available upon request).
- Valid Massachusetts driver’s license and Massachusetts LTC Class A.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to handle high stress situations.
- Broad knowledge of local, state and federal laws and regulations, CPR, civil rights, and police techniques and procedures, equivalent to specialized training beyond high school in a police academy.
- Be able to work flexible hours, which include weekends and holidays.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the use of firearms, impact weapons, and chemical agents.