Police Officer Lateral
Under basic supervision, provides swift, professional, responsive, and courteous police services for the Vernon Police Department (VPD); responds to calls for service, enforces laws and ordinances, and maintains peace and safety in the community; basic duties include patrol, interventions, investigations, and traffic regulation.
$81,036.80 – $98,488.00 Annually
• Enforces state and federal laws, and City regulations; performs work according to VPD policies to enforce laws, preserve peace, solve problems, and provide for a safe residential and business environment through community policing; duties will vary according to job assignment.
• Provides community-oriented police services, and improves the quality of life in partnership with the community; works with citizens to address the issues of safety, crime, and neighborhood problems; assures citizens are treated with courtesy and respect for individual liberties.
• Preserves the peace of the community through mediation, investigation, intervention, assistance, and arrest; utilizes all lawful means to improve the quality of life by recognizing and resolving problems.
• Patrols the City, looking for unusual and suspicious activities and persons; recognizes criminal activities and suspects, and uses reasonable cause to stop vehicles and initiate contact with persons of interest.
• Responds to emergency and non-emergency calls for service; investigates, documents, and resolves citizen complaints, traffic incidents, crimes, and dangerous and illegal activities; interrogates and communicates with victims, witnesses and suspects in cases; provides scene security for emergency services personnel.
• Responds to citizens' requests for assistance, enforces traffic regulations and safety issues, apprehends violators, and assures public safety; applies laws and regulations fairly and consistently.
• Investigates crimes and accidents; secures and processes crime and accident scenes, and identifies and collects evidence; arrests law violators; transports and processes suspects, victims and prisoners.
• Completes detailed reports and required paperwork; testifies in court as directed.
• Maintains VPD vehicle and equipment according to Department standards.
• Assists and coordinates with other emergency services personnel, outside organizations and businesses, and federal, state, and local law enforcement organizations.
• Performs specialized functions in areas of expertise, including training, D.A.R.E., canine, and other special enforcement, assessment, surveillance, intervention, and investigative teams.
• Maintains the integrity, professionalism, values, and goals of the Vernon Police Department by assuring that all rules and regulations are followed, and that accountability and public trust are preserved.
• Supports the relationship between the City of Vernon and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors, and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE GUIDELINES:
High School Diploma or GED equivalent; AND completion of training and Peace Officer certification with the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST), and Basic POST certificate.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
A valid California State Driver’s License is required. Must maintain Peace Officer certification with the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST), and Basic POST certification. Upon hire must participate in and successfully complete a minimum of 19 weeks of Field Training. Additional technical training and certifications may be required.