Police Officer – Lateral
$6,160.57 – $9,535.54 Monthly
To provide protection of persons and property within the community; patrol assigned area and interact with the community; and complete special assignments. Work an assigned shift and perform various law enforcement duties and protection services, including the prevention and investigation of crimes; the apprehension of law violators; collaboratively resolving community problems; maintenance of community safety and security; facilitate traffic flow and apply State and local traffic regulations.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
Receives general direction from a Police Sergeant or an assigned supervisor.
The following essential functions are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed functions and/or may be required to perform additional or different functions from those below to address business needs and changing business practices:
- Patrol an assigned area to prevent crime and protect the community by maintaining order and ensuring laws and regulations are adhered to;
- Respond to calls from general public and crime victims, traffic hazards; misdemeanors and felony incidents;
- Respond to radio, telephone or computer messages or instructions and complete the assignment;
- Investigate and analyze specific crime cases, perform arresting duties, issue citations and provide warnings; complete booking procedures and interview witnesses to gain information;
- Investigate and prepare reports on offenses, arrests, accidents, property damage, and administrative matters using a combination of writing and computer skills;
- Analyze, suggest and implement solutions to police problems in an assigned area;
- Maintain uncooperative subjects;
- Appear in court on and off duty and give credible testimony;
- Transport prisoners;
Experience & Education and License/Certificate
A combination of experience and education that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities may be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Entry-level: Must have the ability to successfully complete a California POST Basic Academy and the City of Newport Beach Police Department Field Training Program.
Lateral: Must have successfully completed probationary period and Field Training Program at another law enforcement agency; and must possess current POST Basic certificate.
Education: Equivalency to high school graduation1. College level coursework or other specialized training in police science, psychology, public administration or related field is highly desirable.
License(s) or Certificate(s): Due to the performance of some field duties, which require the operation of a personal or City vehicle, a valid and appropriate California driver’s license and an acceptable driving record are required.
- Legally authorized under federal law to work in the United States.
- Minimum age at time of appointment is 20.5 years.
- Be fingerprinted for purposes of search of local, state, and national fingerprint files to disclose a criminal record.
- Be of good moral character, as determined by a thorough background investigation.
- Be found to be free from any physical, emotional or mental condition, including bias against race or ethnicity, gender, nationality, religion, disability, or sexual orientation, that might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a peace officer.
- Record must be free from conviction of any felony or misdemeanor involving moral turpitude or domestic violence, and from an excessive number of citations for traffic violations. Background history should indicate responsibility, dependability, honesty, integrity, acceptable communication skills, good judgment and the ability to relate well to others.
- All employees hired after January 1, 1999, shall not smoke or use tobacco products at any time while on or off duty.