Police Officer – Lateral
$51,916.80 – $94,972.80 Annually
The City of Richmond Police Department is accepting applications for Police Officer – Lateral.
The purpose of the class is to execute general duty police work in the protection of life and property through the enforcement of laws and ordinances. This class is responsible for patrolling the city, responding to citizen calls, conducting preliminary investigation activities, and maintaining police records. This class works according to set procedures under general supervision.
Duties include but are not limited to
- Patrolling assigned city jurisdiction for traffic and other violations utilizing a variety of means of transportation including patrol car, motorcycle, bicycle, and horse
- Making traffic stops and intervening in other criminal activity
- Conducting general field services, including monitoring police radio and responding to citizen calls and complaints
- Obtaining and issuing warrants
- Marking and packaging evidence
- Processing crime scenes
- Investigating potential arson cases
- Providing surveillance
- Interviewing suspects and witnesses, and following-up with victims
- Fingerprinting and photographing suspects
- Conducting computer-generated searches to gather information on suspects
- Preparing for and participating in prosecution of cases in court
Qualifications, Special Certifications and Licenses
Must have met criteria for previous Career Development level for Police Recruit. Requires one year of experience as a sworn Law Enforcement Officer. The preferred candidate will currently be certified by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services as a Law Enforcement Officer. Valid driver’s license is required.