Police Officer- Lateral
Salary: $7,124.69 – $8,660.12 Monthly.
Under general direction of assigned supervisor, performs law enforcement and crime prevention work; controls traffic flow and enforces state and local traffic laws; may work rotating shifts to preserve the peace and enforce the law. Supervision is not normally a responsibility of this classification, but may act as lead worker for temporarily assigned employees, or special projects.
The Police Officer position is an Individual Contributor role that provides safety, security, trust and comfort to Santa Maria residents. Their role enables the enforcement of laws and promotion of safety so that the Santa Maria community is a safe place to live, work and raise a family.
- Performs law enforcement and crime prevention work.
- Controls traffic flow and enforces state and local traffic laws.
- Performs security patrols, first aid, detection, investigations, and arrests of persons involved in crimes or misconduct.
- Carries out duties in conformance with local, state and federal laws and ordinances.
- Patrols city streets, parks, commercial and residential areas, etc.
- Performs work requiring good physical condition in a safe and effective manner and under all conditions; safely drive a vehicle under a variety of conditions; etc.
- Uses firearms and other weapons safely and accurately.
- Handles difficult and emergency situations without assistance.
- Responds to emergency radio calls; investigates accidents, robberies, civil disturbances, domestic disputes, fights, drunkenness, missing children, prowlers, abuse of drugs, etc.
- Takes appropriate law enforcement action including interrogations, evidence preservation, etc.
- Conducts follow?up investigations; prepares cases and testifies in court proceedings.
- Prepares a variety of reports.
- Undertakes community oriented police work; assists citizens with such matters as locked or stalled vehicles, crime prevention, drug abuse resistance education (DARE), traffic safety, etc.
- Scope of assigned area will depend on departmental structure and is at the discretion of the department director.
- Upholds the values of the organization and has strong customer service orientation.
- Performs other related projects and duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates regular, reliable and punctual attendance.
- Ideally, One year of recent law enforcement experience (preferably in California); and
- Graduation from high school;
- An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
- Desired other licenses and/or certifications associated with the assignment, such as:
- P.O.S.T. Basic Certificate.