Police Officer – Lateral
Salary: $28.56 to $36.45.
The Silverton Police Department received original State Accreditation under Oregon Accreditation Alliance (OAA) in 2009 and has been re-accredited in 2019. It provides full 24-hour law enforcement services to a population of over 10,500 people in the Mid-Willamette Valley, located 12 miles east of Salem. In addition to general law enforcement services, the agency has specialty positions of Detective, Motorcycle Traffic Officer and School Resource Officer (contract). The agency supports a Community Service Officer, Municipal Court and Juvenile Municipal Court and Peer Court. The department has a full time staffing level of 17.
- Patrols assigned areas, traffic enforcement, complaint and accident investigation, criminal investigations, apprehension and arrest of criminals, using own judgment in deciding a course of action being expected to handle difficult and emergency situations without assistance; works rotating shifts.
- Meets with concerned citizens, interrogates suspects, witnesses and drivers; Collects and preserves evidence; Arrests violators; investigates and renders assistance at scenes and documents vehicular accidents; Testifies in Municipal, State and Federal Courts,
- Prepares a variety of reports and records, including but not limited to; criminal investigations, crash investigations and CAD reports.
- Maintains normal availability by radio or telephone for consultation on major emergencies or precedent; Uses desk-top computers in the police facility and mobile data terminals in patrol vehicles.
- Maintains contact with police supervisory personnel to coordinate investigation activities; provide mutual assistance during emergency situations and provides general information about Department activities.
- Certified as a law enforcement officer.
- Graduated from DPSST Basic Police Academy.
- United States Citizenship.
- Possess or be able to obtain valid Oregon Driver’s license.