Police Officer – Lateral
$22.94 – $26.30 Hourly
Offering a $20,000 recruitment and retention incentive payment and 5 personal leave days (40 hours) with a 36 month commitment.
Performs general duty police work involved in the protection of persons and property; prevention and investigation of crimes; and enforcement of laws.
Position is subject to competing demands such as ten-hour shifts on a rotating basis; extended work hours beyond regular shift when necessary; multiple tasks; strict deadlines; and exposure to serious bodily harm. Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to ensure continuity of services. Position is subject to drug testing in accordance with applicable State and Federal regulations and City of Las Cruces policies.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Performs general duty police work in order to provide protective services to the general public of Las Cruces.
• Patrols streets, roads, and public places on foot, motorcycle, patrol car, or any other means of conveyance to prevent crime, enforce laws, or respond to criminal actions.
• Issues tickets to traffic violators.
• Renders first aid at accident sites, reroutes traffic accordingly, and investigates causes and results of accidents.
• Responds to reported crime scenes adhering to required processes and procedures.
• Writes and files report of daily activity immediately following each shift.
• Cooperates with county, state, and federal law enforcement agencies in the apprehension and detention of persons involved in criminal activity.
• Appears in court to present evidence and testify against apprehended individuals violating the law.
1. Twenty (20) years of age
2. United States citizenship (born or naturalized)
3. Valid driver’s license
4. Valid high school diploma or equivalent (GED)