Police Officer – Lateral
$53,951.09 – $65,639.75 Annually
Under the general supervision of a Police Sergeant, to perform law enforcement, crime prevention, traffic control, and crime investigation activities; to perform assigned, specialized law enforcement duties; to assist the public in a variety of ways; and to do related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Patrols assigned areas in an automobile and on foot, checking for crime and dangerous conditions; enforces State and local laws and traffic ordinances;
- responds to calls from the public regarding crimes, preservation of the peace, and protection of life and property;
- pursues and apprehends suspects;
- conducts initial and follow-up investigations of crimes;
- interviews witnesses and victims of crimes and others who may have information relating to the whereabouts of suspects;
- conducts undercover investigations;
- assists and cooperates with other law enforcement and public safety agencies;
- serves warrants and makes arrests; prepares reports of incidents and investigations;
- searches crime scenes for physical evidence such as fingerprints, footprints, and tire marks;
- photographs crime scenes;
- transports, books, and has responsibility for the care and custody of detained persons;
- issues traffic citations and performs traffic control work;
- Graduate of POST Academy at time of application.
- Must be 21 years of age at time of hire.
- Maintain a valid California Driver’s License throughout employment. Incumbent will participate in the DMV “Pull Program”.
- Physical qualifications and fitness as may be prescribed by the City.
- Successful completion of a background check, polygraph examination and extensive psychological testing.