Police Officer – Lateral
APPLICATION DEADLINE IS SATURDAY OCTOBER 15, 2022 AT 8:00AM CT.
Min USD $73,230.00/Yr
Respond to citizen calls for service, enforce criminal and traffic laws, reduce crime and fear of crime within the City of Garland.
Essential Job Functions
- Pro-active enforcement of all applicable criminal and traffic laws, including the issuance of citations.
- Respond to calls for service from citizens.
- Maintain high-visibility patrols.
- Educate public and citizen contacts.
- Prepare and complete all necessary reports and supplements.
- Attend state mandated and supplemental training each year.
- Testify in court concerning collection of evidence.
- Preserve and enhance the quality of life for the citizens of Garland, Texas, by following the City’s guiding principles.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Minimum Education & Work Experience
In accordance with the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) minimum requirements:
• Must be United States of America citizen at the time of application
• At least age 18 and will have not reached the age of 45 prior to entering a beginning position in the police department
• Must have either a High School Diploma or GED
• Have a minimum of two (2) years of service as a commissioned, full-time, and active paid Texas Peace Officer within the last (3) years (reserve peace officer status shall not be considered when determining an applicant’s satisfaction of the two-year prior service requirement); for an out-of-state officer, federal officer, or military police, the applicant must meet the requirements listed in Section 219.2 (or Section 219.25 if applicable to the applicant) of the Texas Administrative Code and been employed as such within the last three (3) years.
• Have a minimum of one-and-half years of patrol experience consisting of such duties as patrolling an assigned area, answering calls for service, performing traffic enforcement, and arresting offenders.
*Education and prior police experience requirements must be met prior to academy start date.