Police Officer – Lateral
We’re looking for compassionate and committed individuals to build progressive relationships and make a difference in Mountain View’s diverse and engaged community. The Police Department is committed to the philosophy of Community Policing, which includes developing connections within our diverse community and working proactively to identify and solve community issues. Our Officers and their approach to police work reflect this commitment. At the commencement of employment, Police Officer-Laterals will begin their field training program with the Mountain View Police Department. The length of the field training program for Lateral Police Officers may be modified based upon performance and experience.
What You’ll Do
• Respond to requests for police service
• Provide public assistance and education
• Proactively detect and address community concerns and issues
• Problem solve and mediate utilizing the principles of de-escalation
• Build progressive relationships with a foundation of respect and trust
• Facilitate due process with professionalism: conduct interviews and investigations, prepare reports, apprehend and process offenders and testify in court.
• Law enforcement experience in the state of California within 3 years of application (must be in good standing/off probation)
• Basic POST certificate
• 60 semester or 90 quarter units from an accredited college (college units must be completed by time of application)
• Possession of a valid California driver’s license
• U.S. citizenship status or permanent resident alien status with eligibility for, and in the process of obtaining, U.S. citizenship
• Vision and hearing capability consistent with POST
• A minimum of 21 years of age