Police Officer – Lateral
Salary: $83,282.64 – $110,190.36 Annually.
Closing Date: 7/12/2024.
Responsible for the enforcement of all local, state and federal laws. Responds to requests for service on criminal and non-criminal related activity. Provides for the safety and protection of the community through emergency services, community engagement, and problem solving. Exists to provide service for the protection and well-being of human life and the community as well as provides a safe and quality environment for the community served.
- Performs all duties related to traffic enforcement including traffic law enforcement, traffic accident investigation, traffic direction and neighborhood traffic control.
- Enforces all municipal, state and federal laws requiring police intervention to include summons, arrest, transports, booking, incarcerations, interviews and follow-up.
- Provides ongoing patrol for all areas of the City.
- Provides emergency response to all calls for service requiring immediate law enforcement intervention. Provides full service police response on all criminal and non-criminal related activity, including timely response where a request for a police officer has been entered, immediate supervision where appropriate and comprehensive community problem solving.
- Documents all calls for service requiring reports or other written documentation and instruments to be recorded.
- Performs follow-up investigations on criminal reports taken in the field, prepares case filing for presentation to district attorney’s office.
- Administers first aid with or without the assistance of other emergency personnel.
- Participates in special events as assigned.
- Operates an emergency motor vehicle in both normal and emergency situations.
- Utilizes both stationary and mobile data computer terminals and all corresponding applications for preparation of reports, inter-office correspondence, training memoranda, information exchanges and all other forms of communication indicative of this venue.
- Collects, preserves, packages, and records evidence from crime scenes.
- Maintains a high level of mental and physical fitness in order to maintain proficiency in firearms, self-defense tactics and all other areas requiring certifications.
- Employs physical force (up to and including deadly force) to subdue and/or arrest fleeing, resistant, and hostile subjects.
- Pursues fleeing subjects on foot. Climbs, crawls, or otherwise negotiates obstacles such as staircases, ladders, fences, window openings, attics, crawl spaces, and areas of gunfire.
- Drags, pulls, or moves persons to allow first aid, affect rescue or overcome resistance.
- Provides court testimony and case preparation for all cases including traffic, criminal or civil, requiring the officer’s presence or the officer’s reports in municipal, state or federal court.
- Demonstrate high levels of ethics and integrity.
- Initiates activity in the form of traffic stops, suspicious person contacts, building checks, and interaction with the various elements of the community.
- Attends training in extensive legal updates, officer safety and other police procedures and maintains certifications in all necessary areas.
- Demonstrates a respectful attitude towards customers and coworkers that promotes teamwork, open communication, and effective customer service.
- Acts with the customer in mind, responds to requests promptly and provides effective services or solutions for customers.
- Exercises appropriate level of initiative and judgment to make decisions within the scope of assigned authority.
- Associate’s Degree or 60 credit hours from an accredited college or university and 2 years of demonstrated successful work experience as a law enforcement officer in Colorado by date of hire (P.O.S.T. Certification required).
- A valid Colorado Driver’s License required.
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age, ability to obtain and maintain certifications and proficiency in all job related required areas such as intoxilyzer and PPCT, proficiency in firearms and self defense tactics, and good health and fitness levels.
- Experience with local jurisdictions in Jefferson or Adams County and/or the Denver/Boulder metro region is preferred.