Under supervision, to perform routine law enforcement functions.
This is a lateral/ entry-level position as a McFarland Police Officer. Officers perform the full range of sworn police officers’ duties, including patrol and criminal investigations. New Officers serve a probationary period of twelve (12) months and are expected to work any shift, weekends, and holidays.
- Prepares complete and accurate reports to allow for appropriate documentation of incidents.
- Operates a patrol vehicle, and patrols assigned areas to keep the peace and protect life and property.
- Investigates criminal violations, make arrests, prepares arrest and search warrants, and serves arrests and search warrants.
- Collects and preserves evidence and maintains records for tracking and legal proceedings.
- Testifies in court proceedings.
- Attends and participates in assigned training.
- Maintains knowledge of applicable state, federal, and city codes, ordinances, and department rules and regulations related to law enforcement.
- Maintains knowledge of modern approved principles and procedures of law enforcement work, court evidence procedures, and court decisions affecting law enforcement practices.
- Maintains the ability to read and write at a level to perform all functions of a McFarland Police Officer.
• Possession of a California Class C Drivers License.
• High School Diploma, G.E.D. or equivalent, successful graduation from a California P.O.S.T. approved Police or Sheriff’s Academy (Basic Peace Officer Course); or possession of a Basic or Higher P.O.S.T. Certificate.
• Must meet POST citizen requirements (you must be a citizen of the United States or permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship).
• AGE: Minimum age of 21 by the final hire date.