Police Officer – Lateral
Salary range: $87,398.00 – $115,010.00 Annually.
- Patrols assigned geographical areas in the City by car or on foot or other means to aid in preventing crime and to enforce federal, state, and City criminal and traffic laws and regulations.
- Observes, reports and acts on conditions conducive to crime and danger.
- Reports traffic hazards and directs pedestrian and vehicular traffic flow when necessary; disburses unruly crowds at public gatherings.
- Takes command at scene of crime or accident until relieved by a commanding officer; administers first aid and requests medical service as necessary; takes statements, interviewing victims and witnesses; assesses situation and determines appropriate response; records vital information regarding causes and circumstances, including taking photographs and measurements; documents evidence.
- Detains physically law violators or those who may be resisting arrest as required.Activity may require physically subduing suspect, moving through heavy underbrush and trees, jumping fences, climbing onto or into buildings.Activity may require using deadly force to protect self or others.
- Conducts investigation assignments of suspected illegal activity or follow-up investigations of criminal cases; may also conduct specialized investigation in areas of vice, narcotics and sex offenses; may be assigned to detective, traffic, DARE, jail or field training duties.
- Prepares criminal cases for prosecution with either the City or King County Prosecutor; interacts with prosecutors, attorneys and court officials; testifies in court as required.
- Provides general information on laws and ordinances; explains process of filing a formal complaint; directs citizens to appropriate authorities as necessary.
- Serves and enforces civil process issued by the courts to include restraining orders, orders for protection, no contact orders, anti-harassment orders, and subpoenas; serves arrest and search warrants.
- Attends meetings, seminars, and other training classes to maintain current up-to-date knowledge of criminal and civil laws, as well as technical skills in order to remain proficient in the performance of duty; may be called upon to train other employees.
- Prepares and writes a variety of reports and records, such as reports on arrest, property impounded, accidents, offenses, damages to property, and results of investigations.
- Assists in receiving, searching, booking, and supervising prisoners; assures that prisoners receive fair and reasonable treatment; provides food and medical care as necessary; performs jailer duties as required.
- Assures that all equipment used is maintained and operating properly.
- Prepares material to present to training sessions for police officers or other persons as required including schools, businesses, private citizen groups, etc.
- Investigates and inspects persons or businesses for compliance with City ordinance requiring licenses.
- Investigates weekend or after hours construction activities occurring within the City limits; contacts appropriate City departments.
- Supervises and directs dispatch and correction personnel in the absence of a Sergeant, or higher-ranking officer.
- Performs all of the duties of the Corrections Service Officer in his/her absence as described in the Corrections Service Officer job description.
- Applicants must have a high school diploma or GED. Two years of college equivalent to an AA degree, preferably related to police science, criminal justice or a related field preferred.
- Successful accomplishment of written and oral tests as prescribed by the City of Issaquah Civil Service Commission.
- Satisfactorily pass a medical examination, psychological examination, and background investigation. Lateral applicants are NOT required to complete a Physical Agility Test. Must pass physical and medical requirements of State Retirement System.
- Possession of a valid Washington State Driver’s License with a driving record free of serious or frequent violations.
- A driving and criminal record free of any convictions that relate to fitness to perform the job of Police Officer.