Police Officer – Lateral
Salary rate $60,000 – $106,569
Performs general duty police work in the protection of life and property through the enforcement of laws and
ordinances; and does related work as required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Enforces the law and ordinances of the City and State and all other pertinent laws.
- Patrols an assigned area during a specific period and/or responds to calls for service.
- Checks doors and windows and examines premises of unoccupied buildings or residences to detect any suspicious conditions.
- Investigates suspicious conditions and complaints and makes arrests of persons who violate laws and ordinances.
- Accompanies prisoners to headquarters, jail, or court and appears and testifies in court as required.
- Maintains surveillance and contact with known criminals and their associates.
- Directs traffic and enforces traffic laws.
- Checks automobile parking in restricted areas and issues citations when appropriate.
- Works at a desk, answering telephone, dispatching patrol cars, operating a radio transmitter, maintaining records, preparing reports, and performing other clerical and administrative duties.
- Prepares and gives lectures to school, civic, and other groups.
- Responds to calls for service involving fires or accidents as directed, gives all possible assistance, and prepares necessary reports.
- Maintains order in crowds and attends parades, funerals, or other public gatherings and quells rioters or other unruly disturbances.
- Escorts funerals, parades, and other public processions.
- Watches for stolen cars and wanted or missing persons.
- Makes investigations and enforces City and State laws pertaining to juvenile offenders.
- Answers criminal complaints and takes necessary corrective action.
- Gives advice on laws, ordinances, and general information to the public.
- Provides emergency first aid as required.
- May be assigned to undercover or plainclothes investigative tasks.
- Serves as a crime laboratory officer, collecting and evaluating evidence, taking and processing photographs, lifting latent prints, DNA, etc.
- Serves as a drug custody coordinator.
- Interviews applicants for positions and conducts additional interviews of references and others familiar with applicants’ background.
- Classifies police incident reports in accordance with the uniform crime code.
- Operates a motorcycle, radio patrol car, patrol wagon, or police copter as required.
- Writes reports and testifies in court as required.
- Acts for Corporal or Sergeant in their absence as required.
- Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
High School Diploma or an acceptable equivalency diploma (GED) and preferably possession of an associate
degree in a job-related field; with no experience required.
Possession of certificate of satisfactory completion from the Maryland Police Training Commission.
Intoximeter Certification (as needed) .
First Responder Certified (First Aid/CPR).
Possession of a valid Driver’s License.