Police Officer – Lateral
Salary: $6,331 – $7,931 per month.
A lateral entry Police Officer shall be defined as an employee hired by the City as a sworn Police Officer who has
successfully completed a probationary period with another law enforcement agency in the position of sworn law
enforcement officer and possesses a valid California Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Basic Course
Certificate or has completed the Basic Course waiver process.
- Work is performed both in and outdoors with exposure to seasonal climate and weather conditions. Exposure to slippery surfaces, dust, dirt, and odors are conditions frequently encountered.
- An incumbent must constantly work with noise from traffic and police radio.
- Requires normal and uncorrected hearing; minimum 20/80 uncorrected vision or corrected to 10/30 to, must be free from tunnel vision or color blindness in both eyes.
- Weight in proportion to height and ability to speak and smell.
- Requires constant arm and leg movements for driving, walking, standing, and sitting for short to prolonged periods of time.
- Safe mobility involving use of various functional body parts and extremities for bending, stooping, lifting, running, jumping, leaning, squatting, climbing, crouching, kneeling, crawling, turning, and twisting.
- The ability to safely push, pull, carry, and drag up to 100 pounds with or without assistance.
- The ability to reach above and below shoulder level; both light and firm grasping; finger dexterity to write, manipulate certain work tools or equipment, operate patrol vehicle control switches for lights, sirens, or radio, computer keyboard, and to manually check weapons or perform safety checks to maintain operational condition.
- Foot manipulation to operate accelerator or brake pedals of a police vehicle with the right or left foot or to use the foot as an aide to control suspect’s foot while patting down a suspect.
- The ability to feel for patting down a suspect’s body to determine level of warmth to test or confirm evidence of fire or feel body for warmth or pulse.
- Physical abilities of the position may expose an incumbent to blood, bodily fluids, or communicable
- Successfully completed a probationary period with another law enforcement agency in the position of sworn law enforcement officer and possesses a valid California Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Basic Course Certificate or has completed the Basic Course waiver process.
- Must not have pending disciplinary actions or investigations for misconduct or criminal activity.
- High school graduation or possession of a G.E.D. College level course work highly desired.
- Minimum age 21.
- Hearing must meet the normal and uncorrected range.
- Vision must meet minimum 20/80 uncorrected; corrected to 20/30; free from tunnel vision or color blindness in both eyes; Weight to be proportional to height.
- Must meet POST citizenship requirements.
- Be of good moral character.
- An officer holding probationary certification may not laterally transfer from one law enforcement agency to another. The probationary period must be completed in its entirety at the same agency. If an officer terminates employment with one agency.
- A valid California class “C” driver’s license, safe driving record, and proof of insurance are required at the time of appointment.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation and polygraph examination.