Police Officer II
Salary: $35.17 – $40.07/hour (DOQ).
Open Until Filled
This is an advanced level sworn position distinguished from the Police Officer I by the demonstration of advanced capabilities, knowledge, leadership and expertise. The duties of a Police Officer II are essentially the same as a Police Officer I, with the additional responsibility to take a lead role in the absence of a Supervisor. A Police Officer II is expected and empowered to make decisions at scenes when a Supervisor is unavailable. The position requires both reactive and proactive application of law enforcement authority to protect the health, safety and welfare of the citizens and visitors to the City. Supervision will be through department supervisory personnel through the chain of command, generally through Patrol Sergeant or other personnel responsible for a patrol shift.
- Officers will patrol the City enforcing laws and ordinances related to traffic, criminal and civil violations as authorized by State Statutes governing the powers of sworn officers.
- Officers will be responsible for the timely and accurate preparation of reports of their actions as required by the department.
- Officers will investigate crimes and complaints with a fair and impartial mind set, seeking the truth in all matters and reporting that finding.
- Officers will always treat all persons they contact with the utmost courtesy, professionalism and compassion, to the highest degree possible in the situation.
- Officer will be prepared to support their actions in a Court of Law through presentation of evidence and testimony and will become versed in the process of evidence collection, preservation and presentation. Involves working in adverse weather conditions.
- Two (2) years’ experience as a full time sworn officer.
- Requires strong organizational skills and prioritization skills, and the ability to understand and follow verbal and written directions.
- Ability to effectively work within and foster a team atmosphere, ability to think clearly and make calm decisions in stressful situations and have a strong knowledge of laws and ordinances.
- Ability to deal calmly with irate people, ability to handle catastrophic situations, and ability to handle physical confrontations with acceptable levels of force as prescribed by policy and training.
- Must have the ability to communicate verbally and in writing to a wide variety of people on a variety of subjects; operate a motor vehicle safely; knowledge of City resources from other departments; and the knowledge of other agencies that can assist a victim of crime or circumstance.
- Police Officer II’s are expected to exhibit leadership, teamwork, professionalism, advanced knowledge, and provide training and supervision when necessary.
- Must live within 50-mile radius of the intersection of 8th St. and Grand Ave. Total travel time cannot exceed 60 minutes at posted driving speeds.